Kirkham asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 5 months ago

How do I help my 6 year old child to overcome her fear of swimming?

I accept that I haven't taken her swimming as often as I should.

I regret not taking her to water babies.

However, my intention is to take her to the swimming baths, once a week.

She loves her bath time and loved the swimming baths today, but she has a fear of getting water in her eyes, which prevents her from letting herself go.

I'm trying to encourage her to be more daring, so that I can get her into swimming lessons.

Any advice?

• DEBS

Get her wearing goggles to start. That was huge in getting my kids more comfortable with the water. Making it more than a parent event helped a lot too. Let her play at the pool with friends without you being with her. The natural draw to fit into other kids' games is big and works so much better than your influence. Let her play as long as she's safe. Finally, don't go to places with 1 foot deep water and expect her to learn. Get her into a pool where she must challenge herself to fully enjoy her playtime with the other kids. Remember to get the goggles.

Buy her goggles in the meantime.

Enrol her in the starters group. They are experts at encouraging timid kids. You will just make a c0ck up of it.

• Fuhr

Toss her in the deep end. Problem solved!