What's the point of a VPN, if your ISP keeps track of everything you do?

For me, a VPN gets me into my company network. The ISP can know I am using a VPN but not the contents.

The ISP will know you are using a VPN and know where the end point is. If you go anywhere else from the VPN providers end point, the ISP can't know. This is why countries like China and Russia HATE VPN. They can't spy on their own citizens when they use one.

Mind you, you are trusting the VPN end point.

• Who

all a vpn does is encrypt the data you send/receive not "you"

so the ISP cannot track everything you actually "do" - only the fact that you are doing it

BUT the fact that you are doing it via a vpn draws attention to "you" for further investigation/monitoring

do it a LOT and this will be flagged up to the FBI and/or homeland security

As long as you make sure everything is set up properly your isp should have little they can get.

a good vpn will prevent any data being interecepted.

In addition to the vpn make sure the DNS server is set up to either the VPN service or somethhing not your ISP as dns is how they generally filter content, firefox has DNS over https option and other browsers are likely to follow in fuiture.

Your internet service provider knows how much data you use and if law enforcement issues a subpoena or warrant against you they will find just about every place that you have visited. That is unless you get yourself a VPN. That way everything that you do has a false internet provider numbers on it that comes back to your internet provider and to everybody else. Good luck finding the VPN company and issuing to them a subpoena to release your information. If you're doing private things like watching video streams that you know have got to be stolen by taking a cell phone picture in a movie theater you would do good to protect your butt with a VPN. If you're one of those people that watch c********* nothing is going to protect you! The police will go out of their way to intercept you.

• Ducky

Plenty of VPN services keep logs which they can and will hand over given the right legal documents. Find yourself a VPN service that doesn’t keep love and you’re set. PIA was taken to court and all they could confirm is they had a subscription to their service but didn’t have any logs to hand over.

• Mark

lol, it's not like they sit there watching over your shoulder from far away...

I don't think you understand what a VPN is, your ISP can see that you're connected to a VPN but not what you're doing. All your ISP will see is incoming and outgoing connections to a VPN server, that's it

• NONAME

they cannot keep track of what you do with a vpn though...that is the point of it!

A VPN isn't specifically designed to prevent your ISP from tracking you. It is used for other purposes like to connect to a remote network and have access to that network's resources. I set up a VPN server at home so that I can access some of my files on my home server from abroad.

• Southpaw

This is true, that is what they are for;
      https://computer.howstuffworks.com/vpn.htm
      Handy when using public Wi-Fi though to prevent "man in the middle" attacks, although I suppose the VPN becomes the "man in the middle" so you have to trust it.