Is believing and trusting in Jesus Christ for your Salvation enough to get you to Heaven?

I always believed that just believing and trusting in Jesus alone for Salvation is enough to get you to Heaven, I don't believe works gets us there.

33 Answers

Relevance
  • BJ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Paul says that Christians are saved by faith, not by works. He says: “You have been saved through faith not owing to works.” James, however, insists on the importance of works. He writes: “As the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.” (James 2:26)

How can these two statements be reconciled?

Considering the context of Paul’s words, we find that one statement complements the other. The apostle Paul is referring to the efforts of the Jews to keep the Mosaic Law. They believed that if they kept the Law in all its details, they would be righteous.

Paul pointed out that this was impossible. We can never become righteous and thus deserve salvation by our own works, for we are inherently sinful. We can only be saved by faith in Jesus’ ransom sacrifice. Romans 5:18.

James, however, adds the vital point that faith in itself is valueless if not supported by actions. A person who claims to have faith in Jesus should prove it by what he does. An inactive faith is a dead faith and will not lead to salvation.

The apostle Paul was in full agreement with this, and he often mentions the kinds of works that Christians should engage in to demonstrate their faith.

For example, to the Romans he wrote: With the heart one exercises faith for righteousness, but with the mouth one makes public declaration for salvation. Making a public declaration sharing our faith with others is vital for salvation.

A person does not earn salvation by his works. But anyone who has genuine faith will have works to go with it works of obedience to the commands of God and Christ, works that demonstrate his faith and love.

Without such works, his faith is dead.

• ...Show all comments
    • norine6 months agoReport

YOU JW'S HAVE VIOLATED THE WORD OF GOD TIME AND TIME AGAIN WITH MISINTERPRETATION OF SCRIPTURES! YOU CAN'T HAVE A RIGHTEOUS BELIEF THAT VIOLATES (((ONE))) "JOT OR TITTLE" OF WHAT GOD SAID (ISAIAH 55:11) UNLESS YOU'RE JUST PLAYING CHURCH!

• 6 months ago

No, of course not. Jesus said he shall reward us according to our works. Faith without works is dead, and so are we.

• 6 months ago

Faith is required for salvation.

John 3:16

Without CHRISTIAN WORKS (not works of the Mosaic Law) faith is useless.

James 2:14-26

Even so, salvation CAN'T BE EARNED by any kind of works and the price needed to cover our sins, a PERFECT HUMAN LIFE, is too high to be paid by any imperfect human.

Ps 49:6-9

Jehovah God therefore kindly applied the value of Jesus' death to those who EXERCISE faith in Jesus and who become obedient

Heb 5:9

No longer should such ones PRACTICE sin

Roman's 6:15-17

Should one err and be repentant, forgiveness can be granted on the merits of Jesus' sacrificial death.

Collodians 1:13,14

Interestingly, the "demons have faith and shudder" but their deliberate and unrepentant wicked disobedience merits their destruction.

James 2:19, 20

Likewise, to belie a claim of faith by deliberate, persistent unrepentant sinful practices demonstrate that one has disowned the faith so that there is no sacrifice left to cover their sins against God.

Titus 1:16; Heb 10:26

• 6 months ago

You are making a few shaky assumptions.

1. There is a heaven.

2. Jesus Christ really exists.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I am always amazed by believers arguing about the same religion.

• Paul
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yes, with the obvious condition that those who genuinely believe and trust in Jesus will live as though they trust and believe in Him.

• 6 months ago

You are correct. However, a pattern of good works should naturally follow you in your salvation.

• 6 months ago

According to James 2:18-26 there must be more to faith than just believing. 'Nevertheless, someone will say: "You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works." You believe that there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder. But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith without works is useless?" Then the scriptures go on to tell how Abraham and Rahab had works that showed their faith. Then verse 26 says: "Indeed, just as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead." Jesus told his followers that the "good news of God's Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations," --Matthew 24:14-- He told them: "Go therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations...."--Matthew 28:19--Jehovah's organization is doing just that from North Pole to Antarctica and as far as east goes to west. Every week-end some 5 to 6 thousand people are getting baptized to do "God's will." We can actually discern what Jesus said would be at Matthew 28:20 where he assured them with these words. "And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things." I invite you to learn more about Jehovah's Witnesses from the international website, jw.org and About Us > Activities; About Us > Conventions and About Us > Frequently Asked Questions. Also learn truthful answers to other questions you may have by looking into Bible Teachings > Bible Questions Answered. IF you believe what you learned, you can request your free personal Bible study online or from the next witness who knocks on your door or by visiting your neighborhood Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. There is never a collection taken and all are welcome. Thank you.

• 6 months ago

Believe, Trust and Obey

• Otto
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No. We must belong to the 144,000 followers of Jesus. His "other sheep" can have life on earth forever .

Source(s): Bible
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.