Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

How to know if you need to register as a sex offender?

I’m 19 and my partner is 22, we were having sex in his car in a neighborhood in my house and we got caught by cops who were patrolling the area. They asked for our ID’s and in the end the officer noted down our addresses. In the end they told us to find a better place to do this stuff and if they find us still doing this on a regular basis there or anywhere it’ll be a problem. Any ideas if we’re automatically listed or if that was a warning? Did they need the ID for a background check?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

I am really surprised how incredibly ignorant you are about some basic police business and about what it takes to actually be a sex offender. All police ask for ID. This was to establish your identity as well as to check your age.

It was found that you are an adult having sex with another adult. You committed no crime.

Next time, park it at home, under your bridge.

But, to answer your question directly: You know you are a sex offender when you have committed a sex crime, been caught doing it and are found guilty in a court of law. At which time, you would be ordered to register as a sex offender.

A cop catching you having teenage sex in a car is not considered a sex crime, unless you were raping her.

• In
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If you are convicted of a sex crime the Judge will advise you that you must register. In your case the worst you could be charged with is indecent exposure or possibly lewd acts.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Assuming you meant "how do you know" (why can nobody ask grammatical questions these days? Don't they teach you anything in English class?), you will know because you've been told. You only go on the register if you've actually been convicted in court. You haven't even been charged with anything, have you? You weren't even arrested. Therefore you are not required to be on the register.

You got away with a friendly warning. Don't have sex in public again.

Cops ask for ID and personal details on ANY encounter with the public so they can write up a report of what happened and file it. Then if you get caught doing it again, they KNOW you've been caught before as there it is in the records. And their account of what happened is there in case either of you complain about what they did. Cops hate having to do the paperwork but it's gotta be done and can often save so much trouble later.

• 5 months ago

If you were convicted of anything that requires registration, the judge would have been clear about that requirement when you were sentenced.

NO, I didn't waste time reading your details.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

You weren't arrested. You weren't convicted. Only people convicted of sex offenses are placed on the sex offenders list. You're in the clear.

• 5 months ago

You know by getting arrested and convicted with a sentence that includes being a registered sex offender. The ID check was to make sure you are who you are and to run a check on you to see if you had any warrants for your arrest.

• linkus86
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Are you ignorant? Of course they ask for ID to make sure who they are talking to is in fact who they claim to be. They can't make their reports without doing so.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

There is automatic listing as a sex offender. Before you can be listed you have to be charged. Go to trial and be convicted. They needed your I'D to file a report so if they find you doin it again they will know you have been warned before.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

the judge will tell you

• 5 months ago

Warning.

A judge at your sentencing hearing would have told you if you needed to register.

• don_sv_az
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

There is your answer, If they haven't been sentenced they are not required to register.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You are asking for two different things. As for registering as a sex offender the judge will decide that. As for the ID background check anyone can do that once they hear your name.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

DEAD WRONG. The judge can't decide on registration. The LAW explicitly sets the requirements for registration based on what law the person is convicted of violating. There is ZERO discretion left to the judge.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.