When do you hear back after a phone interview?

I had a great phone interview with a startup and the recruiter told me that my resume was a gem. After my interview, I sent a thank you email. I have been out of the job search process for a while, so with this new technology, when should I expect to hear back for the next step?

Usually never is when I hear back after the phone interview since they never work out for me and GOOD RIDDANCE!! I don't have time for any companies that act like they don't have time to meet with me in person.

Just like any other kind of interview, you can expect an update within 24 hours or 48 hours at the most.

A better thing to do would be to ask the interviewer right after the interview, when you should expect to hear from them.

• Jay

Recruiters do not call back unless they think they will get paid for it.

Basically the recruiter is a 3rd party go between. They get your resume, interview you and then call places to see if they can get you an interview to get hired. A recruiter is juggling 300 to 500 people at any one time so they are not going to call you back unless they are 100% sure that one of the places THEY call will want to interview you and that they can get paid if you get hired.

There isn't a standard. If all you had was a phone interview with a recruiter, it could we days or even weeks before the recruiter talks with all potential candidates, screens them, and then submits the selected candidates for consideration. It can take more time for the hiring manager to mreview and make time to contact those he/she wants to see.

If you don't hear back in a week, CALL the recruited and ask.

• Judy

Can be the same day, can be a week or even longer, Much longer than week though after a phone interview and chances are you won't hear from them.

Recruiters are not your friends.

A recruiters job is to find as many potential candidates as they can for job openings.

(To a RECRUITER - 'Potential' means 'breathing')

A recruiter gets PAID based on #1 How many people that can round up and #2 if one of those people gets a job.

So a recruiter will interview 300 people. And the recruiter will tell you how great you are and how perfectly suited for 'THE POSITION' you are.

And then the recruiter will call different companies where they have 'contacts' and say 'Are you hiring for any positions?' If those companies are hiring the recruiter will then send your resume with all contact information EXCEPT for your first name redacted. That is so the company cannot contact you directly.

IF the HR manager at the company likes your resume that person will then contact the recruiter to get you in for an interview.

If the company then hires you...the HR manager is supposed to pay them a commission.

We HR managers rather hate recruiters. Why? Because they swamp us with resumes of people who are barely qualified for the positions we are hiring for.

We...the nice people in HR would MUCH RATHER you send your resume directly to us and not bother with recruiters

• Alex

That will vary widely from company to company. The person that the interviewer needs to talk to may be traveling or on vacation. They may have selected a different candidate and too spineless to tell you. They may have 600 other phone interviews before scheduling the next ones. So at this point, you really don't know anything.

Personally, whenever I"m job hunting, I always assume I didn't get the job until I have an offer letter in hand. What that means is, keep up your job searching an interviewing even if an interview goes really well.

There's no telling. It just depends on how many candidates after you they intend to interview. If you haven't heard back in a few days, call and check.

Well if you're getting the job then the chances actually are that they will hire you immediately and you won't need to wait