Can somebody explain the 6th commandment to me?

I was always told it was you shall not murder. Murder being different to killing someone. Murder being a premeditated act with malicious intent. Whereas killing someone in war, or self defence wasn't necessarily violating the commandment. However I am currently reading Exodus and the wording is clearly... show more I was always told it was you shall not murder. Murder being different to killing someone. Murder being a premeditated act with malicious intent. Whereas killing someone in war, or self defence wasn't necessarily violating the commandment. However I am currently reading Exodus and the wording is clearly "you shall not kill". And I a confused. I have read somewhere that it is a mistranslation from the Hebrew and murder is what was really meant, is that true?

Similarly, I also read you shall not take the lords name in vain was a mistranslation from Hebrew and should read you shall not carry the lords name in vain.

Anybody care to weigh on in any of these?