Christians, do you understand that believing the bible because the bible says it is true is circular logic?

It is circular logic but they do not get it because they are blind to the truth. .

Of course I do, silly. I don't make that argument myself. Besides, I don't recall the Bible saying that the Bible is true. I know it's basically true because of a burning witness of truth from the Holy Ghost. What evidence do you have that it is not true? None, that's what.

• Paul

I believe the Bible because (1) Jesus Christ clearly demonstrated that He was God, by constantly doing things only God could do; (2) He, God, founded one Church, said it was to remain one, and promised that one Church that it would teach only the fullness of truth; (3) That one Church compiled the Bible from its own writings, under the in guidance of the Holy Spirit, and declares as binding truth that these texts are the inspired Word of God; (4) Therefore, God has declared it to be so.

• Jake

A person can better know the true meanings of Bible verses by reciting the rosary each day with care.

Circular logic is required, Exodus 3:14, John 8:58.

• David

The Bible has been proving itself true to me for 50 years. So sad you haven't let it teach you.

There are 26,000 surviving hand written copies of the new testament writings that date to the second century. They were found in dozens of countries in dozens of languages... and they all matched - word for word. These hand written copies survived, but the originals didn't... probably worn to peices from handling.

The writers of the NT were either eyewitnesses or they were close to the events and did extensive interviews with eyewitnesses.

These eyewitnesses went to their deaths because of what they couldn't help speaking about - the life and resurrection of Jesus.

Who would go to their death... tortured... for what they knew was a lie?

The texts we have today are exactly the same as those second century writings because it's those very writings that Biblical scholars use to make the translations we have in our hands today. The OT has been verified accurate by the Dead Sea Scrolls. Language has changed, the message is intact.

I am also a living eyewitness to His Glory. An excerpt is on my profile of my face-to-face encounter with Jesus. And I will also go to my death proclaiming these truths - even if I face martyrdom - that would be an honor.

• Old-un

There's masses of evidence proving that Jehovah God's word, the Holy Bible is exactly as Jesus Christ described in his prayer to his heavenly Father, ''truth,'' John 17:17, KJV reads: ''Sanctify them through thy truth, thy word is truth.''

Where are you getting that? The Bible isn't self-referential; it makes no claims about itself.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian

The Bible does a lot more than simply claim to be true, it does something that would be impossible for you or me to do.

You write a book chocked full of miracles and see with that if you can start a religion of people by the thousands willing to die rather than renounce their new leader. When you can do that, you'll have duplicated the hoax, thus proving it a hoax. Until then, you're just all talk and no walk.

Do you understand that believing your claim that the Bible is false just because you say it is false is circular logic?

Update for commenter Natasha:

Why the straw man argument? You mentioned "other religions", but not a one based on a book chocked full of miracles. Where did I state one couldn't start a religion? People have and do, but NOT like with the Bible. You think the Bible stories are comparable to "Harry Potter"? Okay fine, use that book to start a religion and show us all how you claim it was done 2000 years ago. Make sure you add the following line in your revised book.

“Therefore Harry Potter did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book, but these are written, that you may believe that Harry is the Anointed One, the Son of Highest Wizard, and that believing you may have eternal life in his name” (compare to John 20:30-31).

Mo was crystal clear in his Koran that he had no miraculous signs to offer. Buddha didn't even claim to be a prophet.

Good luck.

Actually: I understand that is not circular logic (because I know what circular logic is).

However, the question is moot since the Bible never teaches us ANYTHING AT ALL explicitly about the Bible. It certainly does not teach us that the Bible is true. The Bible is NEVER mentioned in the text of the Bible.

• A Yahoo User

OK. Now: what has that to do with your question or with my answer to your question?