Any elements types of powers?

I'm writing a book where each character has a different elemental power, but I'm running out of ideas for powers. Everything I come across either doesn't make sense or is too close to the ones I already have. Any ideas?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

1. Air, earth, fire, water - standard elementals.

2.Ice (air/water), magma (earth/fire), ooze (earth/water), smoke (air/fire) - paraelementals.

3.Positive, negative - energy (elements/elementals)

• 5 months ago

I believe the correct answer is earth, wind, air, and fire.

• 5 months ago

I agree with the others that writing about super powers based on the elements is cliche but hey if you’re just writing for fun or practice why not start to work with a cliche.

Here’s a list of some suggestions you can try:

https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Eleme...

• Here is an idea.

Come up with an original idea, rather the old tropes of elemental powers.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The only elements I know of are the Ancient Greek elements (Earth, Air or Wind, Water, and Fire. Wiccans add Spirit as the Fifth Element), because all things are made of one or a combination of these elements. In Ancient Greece, they were elements because they could not be broken down into smaller entities - they were the primal elements, like the Prime Numbers. When the elements were broken down into atoms, the Periodic Table of Elements came to being, and with sub-atomic particles it's been added to and revised ever since.

I agree with Andrew that, while it is fun to imagine blasting your enemies to bits and save the world with superpowers, it's a sign of helplessness and immaturity to wish for fairies and supernatural "powers". You will just depress yourself and lie idle because you don't have them in real life. Show your characters cultivating the powers that every human was born with: love, kindness, decency, stamina, knowledge and wisdom, courage, righteousness, invention and imagination, the power to choose good (or evil) and live with that choice or to repent and go against the people of darkness and greed.

In fantasy fiction, like fairy tales, it's what you do with what you got that counts. Superman is super strong because he came from Krypton, and Earth's environment and foodstuff affected his body differently. Batman is also strong, because he works out and eats the proper diet for a human athlete. Both men detest evildoers, and they chose to use what they have to subdue them. Macbeth's "witches" leagued themselves with Hecate, a spirit of evil and death in 16th century magical belief. Doctor Faustus made a pact with the devil for his powers. But other cunning women and alchemists learned their "magic powers" from observation and experiment, like botanists and chemists have done since. They were just as human as the weird sisters and the German professor, but they did not sell themselves to gain their knowledge - their powers.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Why the importance of elemental powers? Many of the most iconic fictional characters like Larry in "The Stand" were ordinary people who rose above their normal capabilities when the situation demanded it. Then there are the characters like Heathcliff who can also be metaphors for elemental forces of nature.

Giving characters elemental powers for the sake of elemental powers is a bit trite and with the current climate in literary genre borders on being a cliché. You would be better off developing your characters without elemental powers as this will give you more scope and elevate your characters from being nothing more than a cartoon. If you look at the Harry Potter series, while the characters posses some magical powers they don't always use them to either solve a problem or get out of a difficult situation. The author developed those characters so that we, the readers became engaged with them, could identify with them, etc.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Why do all you kids always want to write stories about characters endowed with some special power or ability? What's wrong with real life? I don't see the appeal in having a cast of characters that for no reason whatsoever are capable of wielding fire or rain or thunder or wind or electricity or sound or whatever you decide to do with them. Why don't you write some stories about average, everyday, run-of-the-mill normal people who find themselves in extraordinary situations? Why don't you show how someone who comes off as spectacularly ordinary can do something great? It's almost cliche to create characters that can do something most of us can't just because they have an innate ability to do that one thing. It's one dimensional, it's gimmicky, it's boring and predictable. Create a character who succeeds because he or she summons the strength or the fortitude, the maturity or the wisdom to succeed. Take us on a journey through a chapter of someone's life as they learn and grow. Show us what they want out of life, show us what they're afraid of. There are enough silly stories about superheroes and angels and demons and arch villains and vampires and aliens and werewolves and zombies and all that ridiculousness. There are plenty of stories chock full of faeries and elves and dwarves and unicorns and orcs and trolls. Give the world something different.

• Tina
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

There are stories about fairies, elves, angels, demons etc because people want to read them.They find stories about people learning, growing, and finding strength in themselves as boring and predictable as you find bad fantasy.

• 5 months ago

BORON MAN TO THE RESCUE!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.