Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 5 months ago

Is it a bad idea to move out of your parents house without saving?

I recently graduated from college and want to move out of my parents house. I have a good paying job and am certain I can pay my rent as well as other bills and necessities. I make $30/hr and usually work 36hrs per week. My family is very dysfunctional and I’ve been wanting to move out for months now because the drama in the household is too much; I do not have much in my savings right now but I’m willing to take the risk and fend for myself. Any advice?

If you can afford to set up your own place and are willing to live a spartan lifestyle so you can save while living independently, sure. But if this is going to mean living paycheck to paycheck indefinitely that's not a great plan. In the city where I live you'd pay paying at least half your income on rent alone and that's never a good idea.

Advice? Yes; do it. Good luck.

the fact that you make that much and still live with your parents, makes me wonder how you were never independent in the first place?

I would of moved out of my parents place even if I didn't make as much as you or even if they weren't dysfunctional

You may support yourself, its very good and we all appreciate.

But ensure that you stay with your parents, they would surely enjoy your company as a grown up responsible adult. Being with family is always a good feeling. Make the most of it.