Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 5 months ago

I find eye contact so agonizing?

I have social anxiety and I actually do look people in the eyes most of the time. But I just HATE it. It’s so uncomfortable and I feel like they’re reading my mind and analyzing me. I never know when I should break eye contact or where I should look or how often I should break eye contact also. I’ve heard a couple times that they say you should look at the bridge of someone’s nose, like in between their eyes to make it less awkward or something ? Would they know I wasn’t looking them in the eyes if I did this?

Please look away to rest your eyes thanks

And it will help your speak better also thanks

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) Personal views sited

Consider, more seriously, what this anxiety is about? Is it fear of strangers? Is it insecurity about the way you look? Once you figure that out, go into those feelings more and discover how you can overcome those feelings by small efforts. Build on those efforts. Know that everytime will not be a success, but that, over time, you will improve. Try the bridge of the nose thing for now, but think about what you want to ask the person about them or how you can listen better. Develop some talk about yourself that is standard. Like, "I'm a student and I'm interested in dancing and art. I go to museums on occasion and I think my fav artists are..."

I used to be that way...but I practiced. You take brief breaks... make eye contact and focus on something else

they most likely wouldn't notice. you can't focus both your eyes on both of someone else's eyes anyways, as your eyes can only focus on one point at a time. if you stare between someone's eyes, then it'll look to them like you're looking at their eyes anyways.