I can see why a lot of people are rude to panhandlers some of them are very out of control?

You can be down on you're luck and be civil about it, the ones that come up to you while you're paying for your food at McDonald's and say give me a dollar are the ones you might have to call the police on and hope the police will actually do anything

I live in a city plagued with 60K homeless people, most of them mentally ill and/or high on meth, many of them violent. So yeah, we tend to avoid such persons, in most cases not even getting close enough to be "rude" to them.

I moved to spokane washington from the Metro Detroit area and I was shocked.... shocked by the number of bums hanging out on every street corner with a sign or sleeping on sidewalks. People tell me that the homeless are told "go to spokane, there is help there". Well it is a horrible disgusting problem. Urine and human feces is a big problem in parks, river banks... Most are homeless because of meth and heroin drug use, not because they are just down on their luck. Many are ex con sex offenders, and others are just mentally ill. I would not give one of these people a dime. It frustrates me that anyone would believe their cardboard signs and dish out money to them.... it only feeds the problem, not the body. I work at a hospital. frequently one of these people are scraped up off the sidewalk and brought in for me to care for. unbelievably filthy, long hair and beards, no teeth, no family, no life to speak of, but we will fight tooth and nail to save them from death at tax payers expense. I don't get it?

• In

I haven't carried cash for over 6 years so I am not lying when someone asks for a handout. What kills me is seeing the same people every day at the top of the highway ramp with signs saying "Will Work For Food" when the fat food restaurant across the street has "Now Hiring" on their sign. BTW, panhandling is illegal in most municipalities.

• Abraham5 months agoReport

What if you want to go to a resteraunt or bar that's cash only?where I live in chicago a few businesses don't like transacting credit cards

Some people need help some people on drugs this is why I don' Donate to the shelters Food water clothes It would be nice if There family would help themHomeless people need helpAnd this up to the government to build small homes have a on Communities people pray for

My problem with giving money to panhandlers is that I'm afraid they'll just blow the money on booze or drugs. Otherwise I'd probably be willing to help them more.

• Cap'n. America

So give a can of beans. i have friends that bag up tinned goods for homeless. If they Refuse it, they are a druggie.

"Sorry man, I haven't used cash in years" is the excuse I use, even when I'm handing cash to the cashier. Works every time.

Most are fake, or at least lie and make up a sob story about why they need the money.

There's nothing for the police to do, aside from frighten them away for a couple hours, if the police actually respond at all. It's generally not worth their time, unless the business starts complaining.

Where do they do this? In San Francisco, a city famous for panhandlers, they passed strict laws against 'aggresive' panhandling. So if you walk down the street, you see them, but they don't follow you into McDonalds or even ask you for money all that often.

I fond it interesting that I have never had a panhandler take me up on my offer to buy them a meal instead of giving them money. Never once.