If an alcoholic has not had a drink for a year or longer is he still an alcololic?

Why the term recovering alcoholic? That sounds like somebody who is still drinking and trying to stop, bound to confuse people.

No he isn’t an alcoholic anymore if he went that long without drinking.

• Jedi Jan

Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic, whether in recovery or not. Just the sad truth; this answer is wrong and very dangerous. It’s an addiction, a poison to an alcoholic. Most addicts may think they are “cured” at some stage but that is the addiction trying to con them. Only takes one drink.

Yes, he's a recovering alcoholic, but still an alcoholic.

• Jedi Jan

Recovering means they have control over the addiction for a time, hopefully permanently. Easier said than done.

no how are you if you don't

Addiction is defined by the process of priming. Your brain prepares for the onslaught of the chemical by hiding the receptors for that chemical. Minimizing the effect and maximizing the intake. What happens is addicts may get clean but being exposed to a cue causes priming. Imagine if all of the sudden you were made to feel as hungry as you have ever been. That's addiction. A smell, a bar, a friend, stress, a Foreigner song changes your brain to stop breathing by closing your lungs (metaphorically) and the drug is air.

Any addiction is milliseconds away from becoming an addiction again.

• Jedi Jan

@Hindusufi You need to get an education on the subject. There are programs for the family members of an alcoholic, recovering or not.

Yes. People often say “recovering alcoholic”. I don't think anyone stops being an alcoholic, they just stop drinking alcohol. They can never drink responsibly.

To me, it's like that with cigarettes. I smoked for decades but gave up around 15 years ago. Sometimes I get a real yearning for a cigarette butI know if I smoked again just once, I'd be hooked again and back to smoking.

Added, looking at your comment to Hope's answer. “Recovering alcoholic” is just a term people use because it sounds more polite than “alcoholic” and indicates that they are not “practicing alcoholics”. “recovered alcoholic” and “ex-alcoholic” would mean that they weren't alcoholics any more, but they are, they are just managing the condition by not drinking.

A LOT of people don't seem to understand the difference between a person who drinks a lot and an alcoholic. Many alcoholics don't (any longer) drink at all. Most heavy drinkers aren't alcoholics.

Yes, body has...

not sure, but i would call him a "recovering alcoholic." i think that if you get addicted to alcohol once, then you completely have the potential to do it again. just because you've been sober for a year doesn't mean you would magically not be addicted if you had a drink again. it's a dormant thing -- you can stop and be sober for some time, but one drink will often set alcoholics back to their addictive habits

• Hope5 months agoReport

i think alcoholics and addicts are always in the process of recovering, whether 1 year sober or 10 years sober. it's usually always a struggle to deny impulses. that's just my opinion, though. i'm not an expert or an alcoholic.

No, I don’t think so. An alcoholic is someone who needs it, if you have been without it I don’t think you qualify for that title

Don’t think so unless he drinks again

There is a chance that he still has an addictive/alcoholic personality. Meaning if he has a drink he will probably go overboard and binge. But some people do change.