I got denied two jobs and I feel discouraged. Any suggestions?

So last Friday, I applied to a bunch of jobs and two of them have denied me and if I’m gonna be honest, have no real experience of a job. I have volunteered and I’ve done co-op. But I was still disappointed and discouraged at the moment because I was so excited and so happy to apply but the feeling of being turned down sucks honestly. And to add something i know I’m not the only one who feels like this, but I have a deep fear of not being successful. And it sucks feeling like this because I know it’s not true, but it’s still scary especially for a teen who has no work experience. I honestly just really really need someone to talk to so if anyone is willing to talk, please let me know i would appreciate it a lot.

Only two?? Is that all you got?? You gonna have to do betta than that! I've been denied for about 22,000 in my lifetime.

Unless you know someone in the company who can recommend you, then applying for jobs is often a numbers game. When I moved to my current city, didn’t know anyone but had experience, I applied for more than 60 jobs in 6 weeks, only getting 3 real interviews (most of the job adverts were with recruiters who didn’t actually have jobs, just wanted my details on their database).

I treated it like it was a full time job – I had a plan each day to look through the adverts, had a plan of who I would phone, who I would see, kept records, adjusted my CV to each application. It was hard work and discouraging but I kept going and got there.

Being on the other side – getting 100 or more applications for one simple position, I had to whittle them down to just a couple to shortlist and interview, so I’d throw a CV into the discard pile just because there was a typo or the layout was poor, their location, or anything really. Getting rejected for a job application is most often nothing personal. My advice - review your CV and apply for some more.

• maria5 months agoReport

Thank you so much for the advice!

Get used to it, life has disappointments. Keep looking for a job.

Have you tried minimum wage food service? Did you dumb down your resume so they didn't think you were just looking for some random job to pass the time and gain experience?

• I know getting rejected sucks, specially from a job you really want. All you can do is move on, and keep applying. Also improve your interviewing skills and have some one go over your resume before you apply for a job. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Don't get discouraged and don't give up. Some one will be willing to take a chance on you. I got rejected hundreds of times before finding my current full time job.

Just keep on applying.

Job hunting is a numbers game; you need to put in a whole bunch of applications before you get a bite. If you get invited to an interview, it means the panel already chose you above a couple of hundred other applicants and you made top five, ten or whatever... Don't take it personally, keep sending those applications. If you get knocked back, call the person who interviewed you and get feedback. The reason is often subjective but if the same thing keeps getting mentioned, then you have something to work on. Each interview allows you to learn the kind of questions they ask and to polish your answers.

I know, it sucks but the upside is that you got interview experience more than you did in the beginning so now you can reflect and ask yourself what you can do better next time.

I was in a similar situation one time and my cousin told me,” what is there to fear, you already don’t have a job”. And I thought about it and he was right. I don’t know how old you are but I’m guessing you’re young so just know that there is actually plenty of time to get a job and you’ll get one if you keep applying yourself. That was only 2 interviews/jobs out of many more to come, don’t feel discouraged.

You should find a way to make yourself feel more confident as that’s what employers like.

This could be excercising, I prefer yoga, prepping yourself for interviews etc whatever you see fit. Here’s another thing: success comes with failure. You have to find what works and what doesn’t. As long as you’re not doing drugs and if you keep applying yourself you will get a job and get on the right track

• maria5 months agoReport

I recently just graduated highschool. Also I put the volunteer work and the co-op on my resume

Don’t feel discouraged everything happens for a reason. Maybe those jobs weren’t meant for you something amazing is coming your way You just have to think positive!!

• ?

All you can do is keep trying. It doesn't matter if you get shot down for 2 or 200, as long as one says yes.