Can I travel internationally as a minor without my parents or their consent?

I am 17 in about a month. A year from now, I’ll have already graduated high school and will be a month away from 18. My boyfriend of 2 years will be 18 this December. We were thinking about going on a vacation to Mexico the summer after we graduate (next year), but since I’ll still technically be a minor I’d probably need parental consent. However, my parents, especially my mother, are extremely strict and constantly worried about everything I do. I’ve had a job and made my own money for almost two years and plan to continue doing so, so they won’t have to pay for any of the trip. I’ll be an (almost) adult and leaving home for college within a month or so at the time anyway. I’m worried if I ask her, she’ll yell at me and laugh at me for even suggesting it. Is it possible to go to Mexico (I live in Texas) without her consent, or my father’s (my parents are divorced)? I personally feel like she’s already leaving me to “adult” on my own, so I feel like I should be able to make this choice too, but she’s always trying to control me as well, hardly let’s me have a social life. Does anyone know how possible it is for me to go on this trip without consent??

5 Answers

  • 5 months ago

    Without consent? No.

  • 5 months ago

    No. What don't you get about being a minor? Without written permission from your parents you won't cross any border.

    • Elena5 months agoReport

      It’s ok:) I got my mother’s permission and will continue to plan my trip for next year. Thanks anyway

  • 5 months ago

    Mexico is particularly strict, since many abducted kids are taken to Mexico. You cannot travel without a notarized letter from your parents. I know this because I have traveled with a teenage child to Mexico and I had to have a letter from her father (divorced) giving me permission to take her out of the country. It doesn't matter AT ALL that you have made your own money. It doesn't matter that you think you are an adult- you are not in the eyes of the law. BTW, I think your mother is right. You should not be going off to Mexico with a boyfriend.

    • Elena5 months agoReport

      Actually, I asked my mother a bit ago and have her permission, so I’ll continue to plan my trip, and my budget for it. :) Her only concern was that it was dangerous, and not as cool as somewhere like Iceland or Denmark. Thanks for the answer anyway.

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    If you already have a passport, you can probably just use that to get into Mexico and back into the USA.

    If you haven’t, then you can’t travel internationally without your parents getting you a passport.

    Source(s): (Lawyer)
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

    Sure, you can even travel interdenominationally as a minor if you put your mind to it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.