Approved day off before being hired?

I just got hired at a new job. During my interview I was asked the usual question if there were any days I needed off. I had 1 day I needed, I was told ok, no problem. I had an official start date, but I was able to start working before that date, so was being paid a daily rate vs my salary pay. Come to find out... show more I just got hired at a new job. During my interview I was asked the usual question if there were any days I needed off. I had 1 day I needed, I was told ok, no problem.

I had an official start date, but I was able to start working before that date, so was being paid a daily rate vs my salary pay. Come to find out they told me I didnt have any personal days accrued yet so they took one of my daily rate pay, didnt pay me for it and said it was going to make-up for the day I had gotten pre approved for at my interview.

This is a state job, I have never worked for the state, so not sure how this works..just it was never mentioned to me at my interview and it is 200.00 I am losing because of it...

Does this sound correct?