What is the best way to make a grilled cheese sandwich, over the stove top? Such as ... Do you put butter or oil in the pan, do you butter?

both sides of the bread, do you toast the bread in advance, do you put one or both slices of bread in the pan at first, when do you add the cheese, what is the best temperature, etc etc. I know this is such a basic cooking question, but I have not even mastered this simple sandwich. Even the bread gets burned, is... show more both sides of the bread, do you toast the bread in advance, do you put one or both slices of bread in the pan at first, when do you add the cheese, what is the best temperature, etc etc.

I know this is such a basic cooking question, but I have not even mastered this simple sandwich. Even the bread gets burned, is not toasted enough, or the cheese does not melt well.