John
John asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

Police required to notify owner if someone dies on his rental property?

I own a rental unit in California. My tenants want to be released from the release agreement claiming that thier infant son died in the unit and they cannot bear the grief of living there any more. It seems like if this were true, the police should have been involved to call the coroner (etc.) and it seems like they should have gotten in contact with me (the property owner). Is this ture? I have scoured the internet looking for something to verify the death of this infant (obituaries) and found nothing. Would the police have a record of this death and how can I get it?

If an infant died of natural causes there is no requirement to specifically notify either the police or the landlord.

I would think so, as under CA law, you must disclose a death in the unit to potential tenants if I think it's less than 3 years prior.

• Maxi

No.........................................

The police wouldn't know or have any record, unless it was a criminal matter. And I don't think that they or the coroner would tell you.

You're entitled to ask for a death certificate. I had a tenant break a lease over "bad vibes"...he's currently in a psych facility. But in California all the laws are on the side of the tenant and you as the property owner are assumed to be a slumlord even if your property is of the luxury variety (as is mine). You won't get a fair shake as a rental property owner in CA so just do what you can to stay out of court and mitigate the bleeding. It's usually better to take a loss of a few month's rent rather than letting yourself be dragged into court because the jury will be renters and they will hate you.

• John

Am I required to disclose to potential renters (or buyers if I sell) that the infant died in the unit? If so, this seems to mandate that I ask for a death certificate. What is your opinion?

• Bob

Ask them to provide proof and you will release the lease.