Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

What kind of name is Sarkeesian? Seriously. Is it German? Jewish? Asian in origin? And what does it mean, if anything?

No I'm not talking about Anita Sarkeesian, although that is the first and only place I have heard this name.

Where did this last name come from?

What does it mean?

I've been searching on google for a bit and all I can find are websites about Anita but I really don't want to get into that right now.

If you know, thanks for telling me.

Well maybe I found the answer. Sarkeesian seems to have evolved from a Russian and/or Armenian name (Sarkis) that means protector or shepherd, and may have had greek and arabic roots.

While we're at it, Anita is a spanish evolution that comes from Hebrew Hannah (grace, favored) and Avestan (East Iranian language) for Iranian Water Goddess Anahita which means being a kind and personable leader.

Did they say anything about honesty?

*sigh* everyone else gets the best names.

The "-ian" ending of Armenian surnames was originally a patronymic, as the Irish say O' or the Scots Mc. So, son of Sarkis.

The -ian ending sounds Armenian.

Armenian. no idea what it means

usually anything ending in "ian" Is Armenian