How much child support will I pay for one child if I make 40k and my ex makes 20k a year?

I already pay $400 a month for his child care. Also pay her and the child health, eye and dental insurance. Child stays with me 3 nights and my Ex 4 nights a week. She now requesting child support.

6 Answers

  • David
    Lv 6
    5 months ago
    Best answer

    Rough estimate is about $800 a month. Each state is different, but a child actually costs about $300 a week to raise. That's not counting daycare expenses, by the way. The courts usually have a mathematical formula that takes into account who has custody, and how much each parent earns. But the bottom line is that between the two, they owe about $1200 a month, combined. Now, the custodial parent does not pay child support as it is (correctly) assumed that some of that parent's money will be spent to support the child. The non-custodial parent however DOES pay child support. In actuality, both parents "pay" child support. But it would be silly for the court to hand down an order to your ex to pay herself a certain amount of money each month. So the courts generally rule on means. That is, if each can afford it, then each pays an equal share of the support, which is about $1200 a month. Based on the listed incomes, the Math is kind of easy. Your ex would "pay" $400, and you would pay twice as much ($800) to equal the $1200 a month. Unfortunately, your ex is probably going to argue that she can't afford childcare or health insurance, etc. And the judge will probably buy that argument.

    Don't kill me, but I'm betting you get stuck with a bill for $800 child support, $400 daycare, and all the insurance expenses, also. If she pushes for childcare, be sure to have your lawyer ask the judge to cut that (childcare) in half when the child turns six years old, and to eliminate the childcare payment completely when the child turns 12. That is only fair. Yes, childcare is expensive. But how much childcare do you need when the kid is in school full time? And by 12? I was already earning good money baby-sitting younger kids in my neighborhood by age 12...

    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    Get a lawyer, sounds like you need to get your rights.

  • Ana
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

    You should seek primary custody

  • 5 months ago

    Many States have a child support calculator online, so you can look it up for your State. If there is one, it will give you an approximation.

    However, there are things taken into consideration when it comes to child support, like daycare perhaps or health insurance, etc. So the calculator is not a definite answer

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    If you are in the US EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT.

    Care to share and then I'll give you an answer.

    Some States use a flat percentage. Others use household income. Others use other formulas

  • CB
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    Since you could live anywhere in the world - and laws are different by country, province, state, etc then NO ONE can answer this question except a lawyer/solicitor near you. Either way it is TIME to have a contract, divorce decree, separation agreement filed with the local jurisdiction - most places have statutes that dictate the amount each spouse pays based on income.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.