What was your measured angle of the North Star (Polaris) above the horizon at your location? Did the angle change over a several week period?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Roger
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The picture below shows star trails (its a half hour exposure), there is one star that is fixed that star is Polaris. Polaris is about 3/4 of a degree from the celestial north pole, it moves in a very small circle around the celestial north pole

Attachment image
  • 5 months ago

about 45! How did you know?

• Clive
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

What makes you think I've been measuring it regularly for weeks? Seriously? Clearly this is homework and you have been given it because the way you will learn is for YOU to do it.

And why do you make the weird assumption that nobody here is from Australia, where Polaris is never visible?

• 5 months ago

I am at 41 degrees north, puts Polaris at 49 degrees. Nope never changes unless I change my latitude.

Getting very technical, there is a tiny deviation from the true polar axis, but tell my scope to go true north, it is visible near center of the scope.

• ...Show all comments
    • Doesn't make you right.
      https://www.eso.org/public/outreach/eduo... :
      Your Geographical Latitude = Height of North Star above horizon.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

As long as you don't change position (Latitude) the Angle of Polaris will remain the Same.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It's below the horizon where I live and it doesn't change position.

• Acetek
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

not here to do your homework

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

So you're asking me to measure it repeatedly over several weeks and then get back to you? Are you going to be checking this answer at that time? I need to know before I invest that kind of effort.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.