Alex asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 5 months ago

Why Would Someone Bully You and Then Show Concern?

I've always been on the bigger side in both height and weight, partly from natural bone structure and hormones. Ever since I can remember I've been bullied about my weight by peers at school but I came to a realization now that my family also bullied me a lot as a child and have only somewhat stopped now that I'm an adult. What I'm trying to understand is, if I ate they'd bully me but when I turned 14 I started having really unhealthy eating practices, I'm not the type to vomit (not naturally and I tried purging but I guess I did it wrong or I just can't do it that way.) I stopped eating a lot all together, trying slightly dangerous methods and then they started being concerned because I wasn't eating. I'm 19 now and a bit better but when I try to eat healthy they critique me (all I did was cut out red meat and soda and they started bringing up that I had pasta last month so I should just give up, or try to give unsolicited weight loss advice when they all have beerguts.) I guess I'd get better answers if I asked them but I live in a strict household where bringing up the faults of my elders is seen as disrespectful. Is there any idea why someone would be so hypocritical in how they treat a person? They get upset now because I openly admitted I don't like any of them after how they treated me and say I should "move on" and "show respect."

You live in a somewhat dysfunctional household, so that's what you're gonna get. Until you can get a good job, and save up enough money to move out of there, you'll have to watch what you say and do. They (or some of them) might have gotten a wake-up call when you brought up their mental abuse towards you, so they might be trying to change their attitude. But of course bad habits are hard to break, so they'll do the easy thing, and blame it all on you. Next time one of them says something negative about you, tell them that it's hard to be respectful to anyone who's being an ***.

rnaybe they grew up

Thats toxic that they try to control your eating habits. Please dont develop an eating disorder. Atleast youre losing weight now.

because them bullying you has nothing to do with you, the real issue and etc is within themselves ...