Why don't we have a name for the universe?

So we are just gonna call it "the universe"?

How boring is that?

We even got a name for our galaxy, we don't just call it "the galaxy"

What is this laziness and apathy, is everybody too busy to name the galaxy, this should be given a priority.

If aliens from a parallel universe come to visit and ask as what is the name of this universe and we have no good answer they may decide to nuke us just cause we are too dull to think of a name.

Do you call your daughter "daughter", do you call your dog "dog"?

That would be unacceptable.

So what shall we call it?

>>Why don't we have a name for the universe?

I'm not sure we ever needed one... As far as we're aware, this is the only one.

>>So we are just gonna call it "the universe"?

Works fer me...

>>How boring is that?

Well... it's a science thing - it's not always flashy.

>>We even got a name for our galaxy, we don't just call it "the galaxy"

Yeah, but that came from the Greeks, who thought their Gods were clumsy with milk bottles... Silly Greeks!

>>What is this laziness and apathy, is everybody too busy to name the galaxy,

>>this should be given a priority.

I'll contact the IAU immediately. Maybe they'll demote it to 'Dwarf Universe'. We can call it 'Stumpy.'

>>If aliens from a parallel universe come to visit and ask as what is the name

>>of this universe and we have no good answer they may decide to nuke us

>>just cause we are too dull to think of a name.

Pretty much, if they can get here from a parallel universe, then 'nuking' is probably way old-fashioned to them; I bet they go right for annihilation with anti-matter.

>>Do you call your daughter "daughter", do you call your dog "dog"?

If I'm angry at my daughter, I use her full name; if I'm just calling her for dinner, it's "Yo, Girl!" (it's all in the delivery...) I have two dogs - they have names, but I use "Dog", and "DogDog" to call them. DogDog isn't as bright as Dog, but he's friendlier.

>>That would be unacceptable.

Oh, it's acceptable... just not *preferred*.

>>So what shall we call it?

How about something simple, like... "Scout". ....? Then, exploring the universe would be "Out in the Scout." Learning the universe would be educating ourselves "About the Scout." Those that don't believe there *is* a universe, and the world is flat, and the stars are glued to a dome over the flat plate we live on would "Doubt the Scout."

I vote for the Name Jennifer which I think is nice

Source(s): Apupo !!!
  • F

Duh, its called ...."The Universe"

• Sky

Because as far as we know it's the only universe that exists, so to give it a name would be pointless because names are for distinguishing one individual thing from the next.

• YKhan

Actually we do call our galaxy, just galaxy. The word "galaxy" means "the milky way" in Latin. So our galaxy is just known as the Galaxy galaxy, or the Milky Way milky way. Just like our planet is just called "The Ground" (Earth). And our solar system is just called the Solar System.

We don't use a lot of creativity when naming our own homes. So calling our universe, The Universe, is just about par for the course.

This galaxy is called the Milky Way. I call this Universe Gordon personally, to distinguish it from another one I call Caroline.

How about a name for God whilst we're at it ?

• F

Jesus Christ!

• Clive

Why do you need a name when there is only one of it? And why haven't you heard that our galaxy is called the Milky Way? Clearly you were too lazy and apathetic even to find THAT out.

• geezer

The cat in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's was called CAT.

You can nàme it anything you like,, still be the same ol boaring universe.

You break 'universe' down, it means one entity,,a singularity.