Is it appropriate for a host to ask if someone’s coming to a party before the RSVP date?

My friend is hosting a birthday celebration for me, and the RSVP deadline is in 10 days. She messaged one of my friends (who she vaguely knows, but not very well) who hasn’t yet responded to check in and see if she was coming. I feel like it’s only appropriate to take that step on the last day to RSVP. She... show more My friend is hosting a birthday celebration for me, and the RSVP deadline is in 10 days. She messaged one of my friends (who she vaguely knows, but not very well) who hasn’t yet responded to check in and see if she was coming. I feel like it’s only appropriate to take that step on the last day to RSVP. She thinks what she did was fine. Was she overstepping? What’s the proper etiquette here?