Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Any good reasons you guys can give me for learning a foreign language?

Favorite Answer

1. Finding a job.

2. Knowing how to communicate with other people if you visit a foreign country.

3. Helps you understand concepts of your own language too.

4. Enhances your mental abilities.

5. Sometimes you learn about the culture of other countries.

Being part of a proper community. That's why I'm proud to be a Welsh speaker, otherwise I'd just be English with a different post code.

• oikoσ

Caffe seems to have summed it up nicely but I would like to add one more. Not everything you want to read is written in English.

• .

At a personal level, I've found the most powerful motivation is wanting to better communicate with people you know.

Learning another language gives you better understanding of your own language. If you intend to travel it makes travelling easier. If you live in a bilingual country, it lets you talk to your fellow citizens. All Americans should learn Spanish just s all Canadians learn French. Once you have two languages, you will find a third much easier to learn.