promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I rent a house and had to appear in court because my landlord is being sued?

I rent a house from my boss. He is being sued now they want the money I pay to him for rent. Can the court make me Continue to pay even after I move out of the house? When I appeared before the judge we went into another room to discuss the lawsuit and the company that is suing him asked would I pay and I replied yes. Now I was meaning paying the rent to them I was just wondering if they can make me pay some how after I move out of the house

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favourite answer

Not if you move out with proper notice.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 10 months ago

They can take anything you legally owe the property owner. If you leave at the end of the lease with proper notice, you don't own any additional rent, but may owe for damage to the property.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

i would talk to a lawyer about all this

• martin
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Don't think democracy allows a judge to force someone to live in a certain place against their will. That violates the Bill of Rights. They were asking if you'd pay a new landlord, if you were to stay, because they were suspicious you would want to continue paying your boss out of loyalty and wanting to keep your job. They also may have been fishing to see if your boss put pressure on you to testify in his favor.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Do you have a lease ? You have to fulfill it. If you give proper notice and move, that is the end of the rental contract.

• 10 months ago

You still have to follow the terms of the lease.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.