Do I have to get supplemental auto insurance if I want to drive for Uber or Lyft?

As in do I have to get another policy or how does this work. I already have a personal policy

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, but you really need to inform your primary insurance company first. Don t make the mistake of not telling them, because they won t be forgiving if they find out.

Even if you get supplemental coverage from another company, you ll be screwed if your regular insurance company doesn t know you re using your vehicle as a part-time taxi. Supplemental insurance only kicks in after your primary coverage is used up, but it doesn t cover you at all if your primary policy refuses to cover you.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

SURE ENOUGH DO PAL, your regular insurance can refuse to cover you when making money as a taxi.

• 5 months ago

Yes. Your regular insurance does not cover you for "hire and reward".

• lucy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

YES. Put simply, your personal auto policy is for personal reasons. You go to work, the grocery store and maybe take a trip.

But with Uber/Lyft, this is a BUSINESS use, thus since getting (paid), then you should get a commercial policy. All personal auto policies have an exclusion "in the course of business", which in the past usually applied to pizza drivers, which were the most common.

Now the key is, when you (turn) the app on, then you are now driving for business and not for personal. So even it you had not picked a passenger up, then once the app is on, then your own personal policy (WON'T) cover you in an accident.

Source(s): retired auto adjuster
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • May
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

You need to inform your insurer that you want to drive for Uber or Lyft so that they can n sell you the proper coverage

• Erik
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You have to get insurance that will cover your car being used for business. It will be more expensive. I'm sure Uber and Lyft have the info you need.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You'll have to get insurance that covers you while using your car as a commercial vehicle. Could be expensive. Go talk to your insurance agent.

• 5 months ago

A personal policy does not cover a car that is used for Uber or Lyft or any other business. To use a car for Uber or Lyft or any business, you need a different type of insurance that specifically covers business use.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No you don't have to. If you damage the car while carrying passengers, your standard policy will not cover it and they may even cancel. Using your car for commercial purposes is a whole different thing from every day driving

• audrey
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You will at least need a "rider" policy to add to your personal one. Do not try and do without it. Your personal policy will not pay if you are using your car for a job.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.