Question for people who understand depression.?

I have a friend who's depressed. He believes there is only 1 thing that can make him happy, as he feels no excitement or emotion towards anything else in his life. But this 1 thing, is not something he can seek out. It's something he'd have to sit and wait for. And meanwhile, I feel like he pushes away... show more I have a friend who's depressed. He believes there is only 1 thing that can make him happy, as he feels no excitement or emotion towards anything else in his life. But this 1 thing, is not something he can seek out. It's something he'd have to sit and wait for. And meanwhile, I feel like he pushes away all opportunities and connections he can make and have that could help him. I am no expert, and I hope nothing I say is a wrong or bad conclusion as this is the only friend I know that deals with this.

I just personally think, the day you stop trying, you let depression win. And he goes on about his past failed friendships and relations, and doesn't seem to /seek/ getting better because of these failures (he also has family issues that add to this). Idk. I just wanted to put this out there for people who can comment or even those who deal with this as well.
Update: Yeah, he feels he /doesn't/ have a reason to wake up. And he clings on to this 1 thing he wants that is not easy to obtain.
Update 2: It's easy to say adopt a positive attitude more than doing it.