Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

Can I wire a couple fuel injectors to shut off with a switch to save gas?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Buy a hybrid is the best bet

• 5 months ago

Ahh Hayal Naaaa!! Don't do it!

• zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Sure if you want to damage the engine and you will not be saving much in gas because you will be caring the extra weight of the died engine. Very bad idea!

• F
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Some Bentley's and I think some BMWs can do this but i would think the car would have to be designed to do it. Don't think it's a DIY job.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Let up on the pedal under your right foot to reduce fuel and air flow equally to all cylinders.

• don r
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

That will confuse the engine management computer and it will tell the car to limp home.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's YOUR CAR. You can do anything you want with it. You don't have to ask MY permission. Of course, since the spark plug is still firing in that cylinder after you shut off fuel to it, it will probably overheat and burn a hole in your piston, but you'll save gas.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

This is not an overly lean condition in a Lycoming O-300; it's a No Fuel condition in a liquid cooled engine where one cyl temp can't vary radically from rest.

• 5 months ago

It's been tried . . . . most famously by the Cadillac V-8-6-4 of 1981 which was a disaster: that system deactivated the intake valves on some cylinders - keeping them shut - but the friction loses of the still-moving pistons negated much of the fuel savings and the system was unreliable. After many software

"fixes", Cad gave-up and just deactivated the system when customers complained. It was kept for a couple years on limos which sat at idle for long periods of time.

The idea is used successfully on some big over-the-road diesels.

• arther
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

Active Fuel Management GM still do it the few new Cars I drove with it I only knew it was happening because it said so on the display.

• arther
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

You could if you wanted to . I doubt it will save you any money most likely it'll damage the engine and cost you money. The motor will run as rough as guts while its running on 3 instead of 6

• 5 months ago

No. And, you wouldn't want to.. You'd likely need a new engine!!

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

Yes you CAN. Can jump off Golden Gate Bridge. The question is; Should you? No. All of Detroit's attempts to shut down cylinders, except in a big V8, imbalance engine and still have inertia of dead pistons, rods, valves that are parasitical .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.