Break after working 5 hours under 18?

Hi, I currently work 5 hour shifts as a support worker at an unnamed company. The work is hard, believe me however I receive no break throughout the shifts. I’m under 18(17) and have googled this, it says I am entitled to a 30 minute break which may be unpaid. Does this mean what they are doing is illegal? Or is it a bit of a grey area? If it is illegal how would you suggest raising this. I’m also expected to arrive 15 minutes before my shift starts and stay 15 minutes after which is unpaid. I have made sure not to sign any contract agreeing to this. What do you suggest I do?

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

You are correct on all counts, for the rest break and signing a contract of employment. 16 year olds can join the services and their contracts are legal.

You can report your employers, however if you are in a support role looking after vulnerable people and there is no one to cover you then they can get away with it.

In a few months when you are 18, your rest breaks will be after 6 hours, so I doubt if your employer will do anything now.

UK

• cs015 months agoReport

Thank you! Can they get away with it every day though? It seems unfair as it is EVERY day and they know how many people they should need. Thank you so much for your answer!

I suggest that instead of looking for laws to make everything better, you find work that suits you. There is no federal law on breaks, paid or unpaid. Show up whenever you want as long as you clock in on time, and leave whenever you want as soon as you clock out. You can report an employer for not paying you for the time you are on the clock, but you will not be paid for time off the clock. So, you can tell the employer you will not arrive early or stay late if they will not pay you for the time, under the law, and they can say, "You are absolutely correct. Don't bother coming in tomorrow...or again. C'ya."

• cs015 months agoReport

This wasn’t helpful. Im not looking for laws that make ‘everything better’ I’m asking whether my employers are breaking the law.

I suggest that you find out what state or nation you work in.. Labor laws vary greatly.

I work 5 hour shift without a break too. You do not get paid for breaks so i prefer it this way otherwise i will be leaving 30mins later after work to make my hour up. Also i just noticed you said you are from England so its not illegal unless you work 6 hours or more. I live in the UK.

Federal law requires that you paid for all hours worked and that if they let or make you work more than 40 hours in a week, you have to be paid at least time and a half. The break thing is a matter of state law.

• Maxi

I suggest you tell people which country as employment law is different and this is a world wide Q&A site... and no contract is legal if you are not 18 yrs old, so it maytters not if you sign it or not, it is not legally enforceable

• STEVEN F

DEAD WRONG. Employment contract ARE legal, and in the UK MANDATORY at any age you can legally work.
      In the US, minors can legally enter into ANY type of contract, but can unilaterally withdraw until they reach the age of majority.

What state? State law is what matters. They can't have you work unpaid, if they require you work, they are required to pay you.