vic asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 months ago

How come the USA hasn’t switched to the metric system?

• Clive

Previous answers make the point - people can't be bothered to change. It would take government insistence to make the change and Americans hate government except when it suits them.

The UK hasn't completely done it either despite 50 years of government pressure. I was taught it in school and it IS so much easier to use. Scientists need to understand metric because other countries use it. Then you get my mother, who refuses to learn metric and then gets all confuzzled by instructions like "roast for 7 minutes per 100g". Meanwhile I'm measurement-bilingual so I can talk to her. It takes generations to get it done, until everyone has been brought up with it and thinks metric is normal.

• Ron

Metric system doesn't work,we tried it here

• audrey

Way too much work to change everything. It's a difficult thing anyway.

I use centimeters when referring to my "johnson"

too expensive

too difficult to re-educate everyone

supports US businesses if we don't

If there were economic advantage - rather than disadvantage - in doing so, it would probably be done.

There was a lot of talk about doing so in the 70s and some cities even started putting up dual-unit signs in preparation of the expected change...but Congress did not pass the law.

Meh, can't be bothered.

congress passed it into law in 1899 . they just didn't put a time limit on when to implement it .

• -j.

Laziness, mostly.

• Killmouseky

No, STUPIDITY mostly.

Arrogance mostly. There are costs involved but those are one time costs. I have not seen analysis of the cost of switching compared to the cost of continuing. It might make economic sense to switch, might not but a lot of confusion would be avoided by switching.

I prefer the MKS (grams are just too damn small for what I do) used in engineering along with engineering notation for numbers. I can work in Imperial and CGS. It is a matter of preference and familiarity.

Side note: I used to work in medical devices. Surgical guide wires are odd. Diameter is in inches, length in centimeters.

Many of us don't want to have to buy new tools .