Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 5 months ago

Is It Weird That My Family Refers To Blowing On Food To Cool It As Phooing"?

Ever since I was a baby, my parents will tell me to "phoo" or "foo" on my food to cool it down. Most people just call this "blowing on their food", I recently learned, because when I told my boyfriend to phoo on some hot steak he was having for dinner, he looked at me as if I were a madman. Please help.

Do you have an English dictionary?

Show me the word.

I think that your parents have a problem.

Answer: Yes, it's weird.

I like it! Maybe the word will spread around the world and get popular! I think it's cool!

Yes and no. That isn't a word I've ever heard, but most families have words that they have made up.

No one I know calls it "phooing". But each to their own I suppose, it could be the next big then?

No, it's not 'weird'. But surely you're old enough to realise that words used informally inside a family aren't always suitable for use on people outside the family.

• audrey

Never heard of that. Kind of sounds like something gross.

every family has terms like that. We always called a pacifier nutchie..not sure where that came from. My friends family called them a nippy. It is what it is.

• marty

Yes, that is weird. I've never heard anybody say that in my life and I've been all over this country.

• bluebellbkk

No, but that's the whole point: this is a word used only inside one family. Lots of families have such words, but we don't usually expect the rest of the world to know them too.

Yes, your parents are weird alright.