Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 5 months ago

Is It Weird That My Family Refers To Blowing On Food To Cool It As Phooing"?

Ever since I was a baby, my parents will tell me to "phoo" or "foo" on my food to cool it down. Most people just call this "blowing on their food", I recently learned, because when I told my boyfriend to phoo on some hot steak he was having for dinner, he looked at me as if I were a madman. Please help.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Do you have an English dictionary?

Show me the word.

I think that your parents have a problem.

Answer: Yes, it's weird.

• 5 months ago

I like it! Maybe the word will spread around the world and get popular! I think it's cool!

• 5 months ago

Yes and no. That isn't a word I've ever heard, but most families have words that they have made up.

• 5 months ago

No one I know calls it "phooing". But each to their own I suppose, it could be the next big then?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

No, it's not 'weird'. But surely you're old enough to realise that words used informally inside a family aren't always suitable for use on people outside the family.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Never heard of that. Kind of sounds like something gross.

• 5 months ago

every family has terms like that. We always called a pacifier nutchie..not sure where that came from. My friends family called them a nippy. It is what it is.

• marty
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, that is weird. I've never heard anybody say that in my life and I've been all over this country.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

No, but that's the whole point: this is a word used only inside one family. Lots of families have such words, but we don't usually expect the rest of the world to know them too.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes, your parents are weird alright.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.