Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

Ideas for non-start lawn mower?

Was running last week. I lifted it to the side to replace a wheel and as a consequence oil leaked out a bad filler tube seal. I replaced the oil. Machine never started with the bulb but about four pulls after a shot a carb cleaner into the carb.

Now nothing. The air cleaner was filthy but cleaning it or leaving if off makes no difference. Plug looks okay and shot a CC directly into cylinder, still no response. Plenty of fresh gas.

Any other ideas I can try beofre I invest ina spark tester?

Rechecked the oil and added more. Still nothing. Took air filter off + CC in carb, started right up. Apparently cleaning the filter no good. uns with dirty filter but not start.

Its your carb. Take it apart and clean it and put it back together, should be fine. Its actually the needle that need to be cleaned

Remove the air cleaner housing and filter. Try to start it. If no, spray Ether, aka starting fluid, into the carbeurator directly with choke open (open butterfly valve with a tool if needed). Should start. If so, replace air cleaner.

• y

Carb cleaner kills the combustion, it doesn't add to it. If you want to shoot something into an engine, the plugs or carb to help it start, use starting fluid. Now you have run the oil that leaked in through as well as the carb cleaner before it will start.

oil leaked out a bad filler tube seal

There IS NO seal on the filler tube to be bad.

Any other ideas I can try beofre I invest ina spark tester

WHAT investment? A spark tester is a METAL CLIP that grounds the plug outside of the cylinder so you can LOOK for a spark.

• Edwena

Shoot some sea foam in the carb and see if that will clean it up.

Could be it flooded. Instead of choking it, unchoke it and let the throttle out wide open. Then crank it to air it out.

• Tommymc

I also find it helpful to pull the plug and let any gas evaporate out of the cylinder. Crank it a few times with the plug out Clean any oil off the plug.