Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 5 months ago

Can I take 2000mg of metronidazole to cure trich?

I tested positive for trich, and the dr gave me a pill to take twice a day for 7 days. I heard that it can be cured with a one time dose of 2000Mg. So can I just take 4 of the 500mg pills instead of taking it the whole 7 days? I started the pills two days ago but I don’t want to keep having to take them.

NO, you take the medication 2 times a day (every 12 hours), the way your Dr. prescribed it. It is only for 7 days, so what is the big deal? Too lazy?

You started taking the pills 2 days ago. You only have 5 days left. Stop trying to create more problems for yourself and follow your Drs. Advice.

• poldi2

So you think having to take 2 pills a day for a week is a hardship - wow.

• tayler5 months agoReport

I take 5 pills a day already for depression and anxiety. It’s a little much for me adding two more sorry.

Either way is equally effective, you're just more likely to have side effects from the Metronidazole if you take the 2000mg in one dose.

"Metronidazole is highly effective in the treatment of many anaerobic bacterial and protozoal infections. Oral metronidazole is the drug of choice for trichomoniasis. Single-dose therapy with 2 g orally is as effective as prolonged therapy with 500 mg twice daily for 7 days." https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/230617-medi...

Just remember that you cannot drink alcohol until at least 48 hours after your last dose.

Source(s): I had a parasitic infection treated with a large single dose of Metronidazole.

why is it that difficult to take 2 pills a day?

follow the doctor's advice.