When did 80s cars stop being common on the road?

I hardly ever see cars manufactured in the 80s today.

• Jay P

Mid to late 90's in my area

Most of the 80's vehicles at that time were either driven into the ground, rusted out ( common where I live as they used a lot of road salt in the winters ) or crashed and ended up at junk yards. I still see the odd exception on the road or a collector's vehicle such as a Buick Grand National.

• F

90s?..........................

Most weren't worth saving from the crusher. Cars from the 80's that were worth preserving, are tucked away in someone's garage, and driven only occasionally. They never see bad weather.

(Mine is actually a 1978 , but same answer.

• JetDoc

A car manufactured in the 1980's would be 30-40 years old. MOST of them are in junk yards.

Probably by about the mid to late 1990s, 'cos by that time, most of the bloody things were knackered-out old wrecks, pretty much like meself.

Cars made in 1980 would be 39 years old. they don't last that lone.

because they are over 30 years old. And they were crappy cheap made cars to begin with.

• Geo

The 80s were the Dark Ages for cars. They were crappy and slow, emission standards killed performance and American cars were poorly built. Bad quality control.

• Snezzy

Watch me drive by in my 1987 D150.

Or watch Jay Leno drive by in just about anything he owns. I like his 1913 Mercer Raceabout even though it mostly doesn't have brakes.

In a word 'rust' .

The average life expectancy in that decade was 10 years and 150,000 miles. Very well cared for cars in the upper tier of quality might go twice that. Over 90 percent were off the road by 2010.