Loribeth asked in PetsRodents · 5 months ago

What do I do if I haven t seen my hamster drink water? I cannot afford vet services so please help I just got her thankyou?

I just got a new hamster I haven t seen her drink water and I m getting worried her coat is ruffled sometimes but she always grooms it and fixes it I can t afford vet services and I don t have a sirenge please help

Pinch the skin on the back off it’s neck and pull then let go. If it snaps back, it’s fine. If the skin takes more than 1 second it’s dehydrated. You can force feed it water by filling a bottle cap with water and giving it to your hamster.

Hamsters are crepuscular, meaning they are awake at dawn and dusk. Especially when they are in a new enviroment they will not get up, eat, run, or drink water until night time. Hamsters only drink about a teaspoon of water a day. Keep an eye on her to make sure she is okay, but since she is new dont try to pick her up. You can learn how to tame a hamster on youtube. As for not being able to afford the vet, please start a vet fund. It doesnt have to be anything fancy, just a jar will suffice. You put a certain amount of money in it every week in case of an emergency in which you need to take your pet to the vet. Not taking an animal that needs medical attention to the vet is a form of abuse.

• Loribeth5 months agoReport

Thank you I thought she was sick or she didn't like the bottle so I switched her to a bowl should I switch her back to the bottle or leave her with the bowl?

You may not always see them drinking, an eye on the water bottle would 5ell you.

New hamsters take a couple or few days to settle into a new home añd begin eating and drinking normally. Have patience, it won't starve or thirst itself to death.

Get him to meetings. Your hamster has a drinking problem and there’s no telling where he’ll stop.

• marty

Give it a slice of apple or banana, this will be enough water content so you can stop worrying. The animal will drink when it needs to and probably has been at night when you weren't looking.