Do I need electrician or appliance repair?

Dryer plug burnt, outlet tested/looks ok, replaced cord, dryer ran but no heat. Bought another dryer due to age. New dryer fine for 2 loads, now it won’t even turn on. Outlet still testing ok.

• Jim W

It depends on where you are and what the local legal requirements are to do these repairs. From what you wrote I would make AWAG that you need a new outlet for the circuit. The clue is the first unit has burned the cord and plug. Also get a new dryer cord for the second dryer.

Source(s): 50+ years in the electrical industry.

Its something with the outlet or your breaker box

Not sureee bbbbbzzzz

It would appear that the receptacle in the wall has a bad lead causing the burn marks. Turn off the breaker and tighten or replace the wall receptacle.

youll probably need one of those and acouple of these

• car253

Outlet is fine? Buy a cheap tester at Home Depot or Lowes. If the outlet is fine, then is the plug a three prong or a 2 prong? Did someone cut one of the prong's off so it would fit into the outlet ? Is the dryer gas or electric? Even the gas dryers you have to plug in so that doesn't mean it isn't gas. Usually east coast has electric dyers and west coast has gas dryers. Which one is it ? Do you have the right outlet for a dryer? Take a photo of the outlet and a photo of the plug and post it. Or take the photos to Lowe's or Home Depot and ask the electrically person that works there

Sounds like you need a higher voltage outlet than the one you are using.

• patricia5 months agoReport

Dryer is electric. Lg Tromm. Same Dryer has been on the same outlet for probably 12 years. Calling a different electrician tomorrow.

"Dryer outlet was burnt" Already something is not "COOL"

A dryer outlet is a 4 prong plug. 240V Not 3 prong(stove which is 220V)

I have a multimeter but I never check the voltage with it just because the dryer works or it don't. If it don't go to the breaker box. THERE SHOULD BE 2 breakers paired together for the dryer. Sometimes they are not tied together. and one is tripped and the other is on. So you got some power to the dryer,half of it. Enough to turn over the drum, but not the power for the heating coils. So go to breaker box and switch off all the breakers(one at a time unless they are paired then a pair at a time. A pair is for a stove or a dryer and maybe electric hot water tank. and flick them on again immediately.

. That is how to reset a tripped breaker as that red flag does not always appear...when one is tripped.

. By flipping them fully off and turning the breakers on, you reset them all on. Which means you will have to reset all the digital clocks as the power has been off.

"My breaker box is 20 feet away from the dryer, so if I turn on the dryer and I hear a click at the breaker box...a breaker just tripped off. THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS NOT "HAPPY"

. You call an electrician. Something is wrong somewhere. [The burnt outlet was an indicator of that.] They have the testing equipment and the knowledge to figure it out and fix it. Their repair is to do with house wiring, not with appliance repair.

The chances of 2 DIFFERENT dryers having the same issue is highly unlikely. The only thing the dryers have in common is the outlet . So the outlet is what is MICKEY MOUSE.

That is the logical approach. If it ain't the wiring then the electrician will tell you so without doing any work. They just know what they know and test what they can test. Better safe than burn the house down anyday.

• dtstellwagen

3 prong NEMA-10 or 4 prong NEMA-14 is not a voltage difference, just a minor safety improvement. NEMA-10's were legal to install long after ANSI 84.1 was adopted. The Code change to prohibit new 3 wire 240v circuits was mostly due to improper circuit modifications, not correctly installed circuits.

This same question with same problem was asked not long go.

How was the outlet tested and by whom? Sounds like a electrical issue not the dryer. Or you bought a used dryer with someone else's issues.

Than if thats the case you need a dryer repairman. Or get a real electrician. It could be something as a bad wire or splice or a bad outlet. He probably did not test under load. That is the only way to find out what is going on. Testing with multimeter only tells you voltage available. It is not going to test amperage draw.

• Carson

Uh, yeah.."the cord burned on my dryer.". I'm messing with .220volts and an 'outlet test light' I am not an electriciam.

"My dryer ran two loads and quit.". 'Thoughts?'

Unplug your dryer and hire an electrician!

• patricia5 months agoReport

Electrician already said outlet was fine. That’s why we replaced cord on first dryer. Just can’t afford to have wrong person out again. Thus, my question. Thanks for the sarcasm!

• y

Outlet still testing ok according to whom and how?

• patricia5 months agoReport

Multimeter myself first, than a local electrician. Tested again with multimeter after second dryer faulted. Can’t get electrician until Monday. Just can’t afford to call the wrong person out again. Breaker has not tripped with either fault.