tara asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 5 months ago

Dead Mouse smell?

There is a dead mouse inside the wall in my pantry in my kitchen. There are several mouse holes but I have no way of getting into the wall. How can I get rid of the smell? Can I pour bleach in the holes? Will that help the smell? HELP!?!? IT SMELLS HORRIBLE!!!

• Edwena
    Favorite Answer

It will last about a week and after the decay is finished, you will only have the memory. Remove everything and get it away from the smell and look for anything that you can seal with tape to lessen the smell. Open the windows and keep the room blown out with fans.

All you can do it light scented candles or incense. The smell will take a couple days to go away as the mouse dries up. They have some things that plug in to keep rodents away, they sell them at hardware stores. About $20 for 3 of them

• Joe

I don't think that bleach would do any good.

Baking soda might help.

I doubt pouring bleach will solve the problem: unlikely to actually get to the decaying corpse. If there is a dead body in the walls, then you either have to open the walls to get it out, or wait until the decay process is done. It might (might, maybe) be helpful to close up the holes that are letting the stench out.

Are you sure it is just a mouse and not something larger? Mice do smell but generally not for a long time. Not a lot of flesh to rot, so it tends to go quickly.

Could be worse: my cats dragged in a rabbit once, and it died under the fridge. Took me a lot of searching to find the source of that smell, and it was a powerful one.

You do have my sympathy.