Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 5 months ago

Car accident after insurance had lapsed?

I was at fault in a car accident where my insurance had lapsed. This wasn't deliberate but I had forgotten to inform my insurance of a change of address where I was living at the time.

There was significant damage to the lady's car I collided with and she has minor injuries. A friend has said the outcome now is for sure she will be suing me for a substantial amount in damages and rightly so. Is he correct?

15 Answers

  • zipper
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

    Why am I not shocked to see that this is you? No Insurance, boy are you going to be sued.

  • Neil
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    if you are in the UK, your insurance contract would have stated that you must inform the insurance company immediately of any material change that would affect the cover. This would include the change of address. Therefore you were effectively without any insurance cover from the time you moved without informing the insurance company, even though you had paid for it.

    If you are lucky, the other party's insurance and the MIB will cover her costs.

    If you are slightly unlucky, she will come after you for her costs, with serious financial consequences.

    If you are averagely unlucky, her insurer will pay out then come after you for the costs, and they can afford better lawyers than she could alone.

    If you are more unlucky, the police get involved, your former insurers get involved, your insurance record gets a hit and you get an uninsured driving conviction, either of which will lead to you having problems getting insurance in the future for anything less than a small fortune.

  • 5 months ago

    If your insurance has definitely lapsed, you've got a lot of out-of-pocket paying to do. The fact that it wasn't deliberate doesn't really matter, because nobody (well, almost nobody) crashes into stuff on purpose. Deliberate crashes aren't covered by insurance anyway.

    The first thing you want to do is contact your insurance provider and make sure your policy lapsed, because it might not be. I said might, but it's worth looking into.

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    Check with your insurance first. The change of address is NOT AS CRITICAL as to terminate your insurance. You let them know now your change of address so now they know where to MAIL STUFF TO.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    ''I was at fault in a car accident where my insurance had lapsed. '' EPIC FAIL

    ''This wasn't deliberate'' MAKES NO DIFFERENCE

    ''Is he correct?'' PROBABLY but the reliable crystal ball hasn't been invented yet.

  • car253
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    What happens depends on a few things. One, what state do you live in? Two, does the lady have collision coverage? Three, does the lady have Uninsured motorist coverage?

    If the lady has Uninsured motorist coverage, then HER auto insurance company will cover her for bodily injury and her property damage to her car if a driver hits her without auto insurance. That is the purpose of uninsured motorist. Half the drivers in California drive without auto insurance. That is why people that have auto insurance usually have uninsured motorist coverage on their auto insurance.

    Was the lady driving a newer car ? Or an old car? People with newer cars usually have collision coverage and uninsured motorist coverage. People that drive old cars usually don't. So, the kind of car she was driving, new or old, may be an indication of what kind of insurance coverage she has.

    And, if her auto insurance company pays for her damages, they will put you in collections to get their money. Or, at least try to get their money back.

    Source(s): Insurance Agent
  • 5 months ago

    The reason why the insurance lapsed does not matter. It was YOUR responsibility to follow all procedures to keep your insurance active.

    Due to YOUR failure to do so, you will be sued for the damages and you will lose and have to pay for those damages out of your own pocket.

    That's called a *consequence*; Have a 5 year old explain the meaning of that word to you.

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    Flee to Mexico ....You will be sued and possibly lose your license.

  • 5 months ago

    You'll probably be sued if you don't promptly pay all her expenses (do you think SHE should pay because you don't have insurance and caused and accident and her losses?). She may well want punitive damages as well.

    The definition of "uninsured motorists" varies - even if she has the coverage - so can't comment on whether that will help . . . . regardless: if she has insurance her company has a lot of lawyers that will want to get the money out of you, not their coffers. You better hire a good one, too. I assume you have also lost your drivers license (if you had one).

  • keerok
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    Yes, very much and without insurance, you're in a lot of trouble.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.