jade asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 5 months ago

Please don’t judge me, Im pregnant and did something I shouldn’t have?

So about a few weeks ago before I knew I was pregnant, I went out with my friends and we were drinking alcohol, then unexpectedly my friend that just graduated and is known as a “good kid” brought out a small amount of cocaine and asked if I wanted to try it, I was curious and tried one small line and I’ve never done it again. But a week or 2 later I found out I was pregnant and now I’m worried that drinking and the line I took harmed my baby, I went to a walk in clinic to confirm that I was pregnant and they guessed I was 6 weeks pregnant I was scared to ask atm because my mom came with me but I’m going to an ultrasound soon to confirm how far along I am and I’m gonna ask a the doctor about this because I’m really worried but I just need some kind of answer right now because I’ve been dying to know and I can’t wait any longer, if I knew I was pregnant I would have never done it and I was not planning to become pregnant but I decided to keep the baby. Please don’t judge me I’m already feeling like crap I just need to know if this could’ve harmed my baby.

Yes, you COULD have harmed your unborn child. It is possible that the damage won't be apparent until the child has a behavioral or physical issue later in his life, perhaps when he first enters school, perhaps earlier.

• LizB

It's unlikely that a one-time use of recreational substances has done any serious harm. But do abstain from now on and make your health a priority. Healthy mama means healthy baby.

It is unlikely to have caused any harm to your child at that stage.

As you said, you are not going to continue doing it, and that is the best thing you can do going forward.

• God

Don't worry about it. People have done a lot worse than that and had perfectly normal children. It would be best to abstain from smoking, drinking and drugs from now on until the baby comes. CONGRATULATIONS!! You are going to be a great mom.

I am not going to judge you. It is possible, but you are accountable enough not to do it again- in my opinion, the child will be alright if you stop. It is only my unprofessional opinion, and you have to visit a doctor to check if this is correct.

The alcohol didn't do any damage. Many women have had alcohol during the first four to six weeks before finding out they were pregnant.

As for the cocaine, it is also very likely that no damage was done from just one line done so early in pregnancy. The real damage from using drugs comes from the addiction the baby might be born with. If you are not addicted, then your baby is not addicted. One line this early certainly did not cause addiction in your fetus. Your body would have filtered most of it anyway - especially since it was just the one time.

As long as you stay clean now, you should have nothing to worry about.

You are not the first and won't be the last. Hopefully no damage done. Just concentrate on being as healthy as you can now.