How to make soil plant-proof?

I'm tired of removing all these weeds in my backyard every month. Different kind of useless insects breed there and it's so annoying when they fly around my face everytime I go outside. Are there any cheap ways to stop plants from growing in the soil?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

astroturf.....fake grass

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Gordon's Barrier spray works for most of a year.

• In
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Agent Orange worked great in Vietnam, but practically any broad spectrum herbicide will do.

• 5 months ago

The insects aren't coming from the soil. Most of the really annoying insects breed primarily in water and in rotting organic matter (fruit, dung, dead animals). Even if you pave your backyard, you will still have annoying insects hitting you in the face. I suggest that you plant grass and keep it mowed instead of pulling weeds.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Asphalt or concrete .

• 5 months ago

There are cheap long term ways to stop plants growing in soil but I will not recommend any because someone else might want to cultivate that soil after you. It seem irresponsible to 'kill' the soil.

Heavy duty landscape fabric will stop vegetation growth but looks horrible. It can look OK if covered by gravel or paving.

Insects help support the ecosystem we live in so stopping all insects is not a good idea. Far better to keep them outside by providing a suitable habitat for them. You can do this AND avoid weeds by planting flowers and shrubs that spread out and cover the ground so weeds can't get in. That sort of plant tends to look after itself.

If you don't mind cutting some grass, laying a lawn over the backyard provides an attractive recreational area and stops weeds sprouting.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I think you can buy a small nuclear device now in the USA you can destroy an area of land for 100 years no weeding no humans no insects if its not on sale now it will be soon its expensive but these things always are at the start

• 💜
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Try putting some mutch down. It costs about $5 per bag.

• Erin5 months agoReport

Mulch really helps. I planted some rose bushes near the front of my house and placed mulch around it and I haven't seen any weeds growing there for days. (should probably deweed and put some around the air conditioner)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.