Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

Do people commit more crime (Murder, Rape, Theft etc) per year then they did 100 years (July 1919) ago or less crime or is it about the same?

In my opinion it's about the same.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Best answer

There is a lot more crime nowadays, there are more ways to commit crimes nowadays too.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Violent crime rates are actually down in most places, having reached their heights in the 1990's. But we have better communication these days so we just hear more about it. That said, more people would always mean more crimes...just not more crimes per capita.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

There was less crime in 1900 simply because there were less people. In 1900 the census counted a population in the US of 76,212,168, today there are about 327.2 million. Also the population was mostly rural with about a quarter of the US having a population of 2 or less per square mile and over 80% of the US having less then 45 people per square mile. There was a lot less opportunity to commit crime.

• `
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Prohibition had an impact on crime rates. Between 1920 and 1921, there was a 24% increase in criminal activity. In the 1920's there were 4,000 people in federal custody compared to 3000 people in the 1940's. You can look up the recent crime rates.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

INVALID comparison. There are significantly more people than there were 100 years ago.

A valid comparison would be PER CAPITA crime rates. The answer isn't the same for all crimes.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

That's not what I've always heard. I think pound for pound it was way worse back in most of ancient history.

• 5 months agoReport

1919 is not ancient history, are you dumb?

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

the reporting system was much less accurate 100 years ago ..........................

• 5 months ago

The answer is yes. We have more global population than we did 100 years ago, which means more people to commit crime. Even if we had the same population, crime would be higher today.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.