Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

why won't my dad let me hang out with ANYONE?

for years ever since i had to move in with him all i have to do is stay inside my room drawing, reading, writing, & watching TV. i don't have anything to do outside except walk and run since i don't have anyone to do anything with. i'm not allowed to spend the night with anyone, not even my grandma. i'm a good kid, i make good grades and i'm in lots of clubs. every time i ask him to hang out with people he ends up screaming at me because when i give him reasons as to why he starts yelling and says i'm accusing him of doing something wrong. he drinks twice a day everyday. he gives me scenarios and makes me feel dumb. i'm not allowed to even go out of my front yard without letting him know where i'm going and he has to make sure i'm not going with anyone. he acts like all of my friends are looking for sex or to do drugs and i hang out with super christian people. it hurts to see everyone from school except me hanging out with people and having fun on their snapchat stories. i'm lonely and wonder why my life is different than everyone else's.

Favorite Answer

First, we need to know your age. Secondly, he needs to not keep you in a bubble. Ask him if you can have you’re friends spend the night at your house where he’s there to make sure you don’t rebel and do something stupid. If he doesn’t go for that, then he’s actually damaging you even though he’s trying to protect you. You’re only young once. All parents want to keep their kids inside where it’s safe, but most parents know their kids need to enjoy being a kid while they still can. Before they have to get a job and start paying bills. He’s keeping you from living life. I’d ask him if you two can go to counseling together. If he refuses then let him know he’s damaging you and your relationship with him, because if he doesn’t let you live a little, you’ll end up resenting him when you get older and you’ll have a strained relationship.

Also, when telling him all this, keep your cool. No matter what he says, don’t get angry. Tell him everyone learns by their mistakes.

• Lisa

Hello I am starting out just being adult is hard. You will have to learn what is most important to you.

Sounds like Dad has some demons he should probably get some help for. Ask him to consider some counseling so he can free himself from whatever's going on in his head.

• falcon

Because he have is own issues and by hiding them he controls you. you will need to work on your self confidence so you wont be affected by this in the future.

wonder what cps would say if you told thern about all this

he probably does that to protect you, but maybe you should find another place to live if he drinks so much and screams at you all the time

I feel kinda bad for you, because I totally see how it looks very crappy and unfair from your POV.

But sweetie, take it from someone older, there is so much negative, bad, evil out there, in so many forms, that I totally get why a parent would want to be very overprotective of you/their child, especially a female/girl.

We've all been your age before, and we all been there/done that. Sex, alcohol, weed, etc. STDs, cutting school, etc.

I have a young relative that I worry about/for, also. So I get it. Totally. Both sides. I know that doesn't make you feel better. The only thing that I know is true is that you will thank him later, when you're older, grown, mature and turned out an awesome young lady... that he saves you from all of the **** that girls your age go though: sex, alcohol, drugs, pregnancy, STDs, problems at school, etc., etc.

I wish I could say something that helped you feel better. Some insight that would help you "get it." But only time, age, maturity can do that for you.

Don't worry about what "other people" are doing on social media. Social media is NOT what you want to worry about. Forget about everyone else. Worry about yourself, your future, etc.

Feel free to reply, ask any questions, etc.