leeceve asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Is it fair for my mom to do this?

My mom put a screen time limit on my phone and laptop, same for both my siblings. She's set it so that between 10 pm and 6 am I can't use most apps on my phone and my laptop won't work. The only apps that work during these hours are phone, camera and gmail. I'm almost 16, I have a job, I paid for my computer and phone as well as my phone bill and my grades are very good. We have a healthy relationship, we trust each other and we rarely fight. My mom pays for my basic necessities but I pay for nearly everything else such as my clothing, stationary, furniture, etc. I hate this new system so much, I just wanna check instagram or something before I go to bed. It's overly controlling and strict and I don't understand why this is necessary. Is she being reasonable?

Wow, you've got a lot on your plate. One wonders how you have time to pull the straight A's a kid your age needs to be making to get into a decent college these days. Yes, it's not only "fair" but is considered optimal parenting to limit a child's screen time, especially during the VERY pivotal Junior and Senior years of high school when kids need to be jamming with the AP classes and the extracurriculars to have any hope of a decent life as an adult.

• `

Kudos to your parents! Life isn't fair. You need to get used to it.

• art

it her house and her rules, switching off screens at 10pm sounds reasonable - she doesnt want you getting woken up all night anwering text messages or checking IG.

if she is still doing it when you turn twenty then that would be different, your 15 - just a kid

not if youre paying for it, if you have a job, you rnight be able to get ernancipated

Mom is being fair, and you sound intelligent enough to understand this rule all by yourself. Ask yourself what most people do between 10 PM and 6 AM? And why that activity is important? You see Mom is taking care of you in ways you don't realize you need care. Your Mom is a smart lady who obviously loves you.

Dude, you're 15. Barely have hair on ya balls yet. If your only gripe is wanting to check IG, forget it. IG and all social media is garbage/not good for you, esp. at your young age.

What time do you go to sleep every day, on average? Do something else valuable with that new free time. (You can still use the phone. And you can still email.)

Excessive screen time is ruining our youth. Go look up the studies done on "screen time" and the effects on the brains of youth/children.

Of course. You shouldn't spend much time on it. Otherwise it will cause Brain Cancer. Go hang out and play outdoor games, that's good for you. You will get healthier like people in past

Yeah wait till u 18 since u live in her house her rules

• mokrie

I know families that have all phones turned in and shut off from dinner time on till morning. You mom is trying to help you and keep all of you from becoming addicted to these devices and unable to sleep. It's a smart move. Looking at those devices damage the ability to fall asleep on time. You'll thank her someday.

Look just wait til your 18 hang in there:)