Isaiah 45:7 God is evil. But there is nothing whatsoever in the Bible to say that God cannot be evil or malevolent. Do you agree or not?

Isaiah 45:7

'I form the light and create darkness,

I make peace and create EVIL/CALAMITY;

I, the Lord, do all these things.’

The above Scripture (bold type) is indisputable and unequivocal in its content.

Basically, it says that God has created CALAMITIES, which is EVIL, by definition.

Consequently, one should also infer that God Himself is evil to have created such evil in the first place.

Do you agree or not?

• Tim

Job 34:10 Therefore hearken unto me ye men of understanding: far be it from God, that he should do wickedness; and from the Almighty, that he should commit iniquity.

8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:

11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it" (Isaiah 55:8-11).

20 "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive" (Genesis 50:20).

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).

My version says, "I form light, I create darkness; I make well-being, I create woe; I, Adonai, do all these things."

He didn't create evil, he created US, and we make our own evil through sin. He can punish (create woe) and does. But "evil" is a different thing. Not everything we conceive as bad, is "evil." Calamity is probably a far more accurate translation than evil.

That would be like saying parents who punish their children are evil...when they're actually better parents than those who don't discipline for trying to teach their children right from wrong.

Within the fictitious framework of the Bible, I do.

Doesn't Job imply the devil is restricted and needs permission for anything but tempting .

When Christians say God Allowed it that's only a cop out for lack of explanation .

Epicurus dealt with this under omniscience and omnipotence .

Does he know and is unwilling or is he willing but doesn't know .

Job proves he either didn't know or knew and wanted to prove his omniscience

to the Devil but who was actually evil to Job- God or the Devil or both .

The problem here is that grease is used as glue to hold all this

mythology together

Isa 45:7 does NOT state that GOD IS EVIL!

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: >>>I make peace, and create evil<<<: I the LORD do all these things.

Explanation:

The Hebrew word for evil there is ra, meaning "acts of adversity."

God sometimes uses acts of adversity in order to acheive his divine perfect will. Examples include

-hardening Pharoahs heart so that God could show him, the Egyptians and the world that HE is the only God.

-causing Saul to go mad so that David could become King of Israel. Saul was unfit to the task.

-striking Paul with blindness in order to gain his attention and cooperation

There are many others

But in all cases, God used adverse acts to bring about his holiness. To bring about goodness. Evil men use evil instead for their own selfish gain, purposes.

Not all men respond to the love of God. And for these, God has to use drastic measures to gain their attention and cooperation.

GOD himself is NOT evil. To call God evil is blasphemy - the only unrepentable, unforgivable sin. Its a certain ticket to hell.

====================

>>This god turns Lot's wife to salt for nothing but puts a mark on Cain's head because Murderers get a second chance <<

You don't know scripture then

God cursed Lot's wife because she disobeyed God and looked back on sin. He warned her.

Gen 19:17 And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, >>>Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain<<<; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.

Gen 19:26 ΒΆ >>>But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt<<<.

As for Cain, God was not rewarding him. He severely rebuked him. He placed the mark upon Cain because he still had purpose for him. He had seven generations of his own. And of course they were all drowned in the flood.

See that? I see it here every day. Those who mock Gods word the most >>> know Gods word the least. Go figure.

• Lv 4

So this is what a parent would do - Cause calamity with one child to favor the other . This god turns Lot's wife to salt for nothing but puts a mark on Cain's head because Murderers get a second chance . Stupidity can't be written dumber on purpose . God's subjective omniscience is suspicious .

• Have you read Dawkins, "God Delusion", or Hitchens, "God is not Great"? You might benefit, rationally, from reading them, furthering your sense of the OT God being morally execrable.

• Climate Realist

Perhaps you should read some translation other than the KJV. The NIV translates the Hebrew word as "disaster" and the ESV translates it as "calamity."

I'm not knocking the KJV, but, some words, such as "evil," do not mean the same thing now as they did in 1611.

Nonsense. God is not the God of evil that produces sin but the evil that brings the consequences of sin: Isaiah 45:5-10

God here asserts his sole and sovereign dominion, as that which he designed to prove and manifest to the world in all the great things he did for Cyrus and by him. Observe,

I. How this doctrine is here laid down concerning the sovereignty of the great Jehovah, in two things:β€” 1. That he is God alone, and there is no God besides him. This is here inculcated as a fundamental truth, which, if it were firmly believed, would abolish idolatry out of the world. With what an awful, commanding, air of majesty and authority, bidding defiance, as it were, to all pretenders, does the great God here proclaim it to the world: I am the Lord, I the Lord, Jehovah, and there is none else, there is no God besides me, no other self-existent, self-sufficient, being, none infinite and eternal. And again (v. 6), There is none besides me; all that are set up in competition with me are counterfeits; they are all vanity and a lie, for I am the Lord, and there is none else. This is here said to Cyrus, not only to cure him of the sin of his ancestors, which was the worshipping of idols, but to prevent his falling into the sin of some of his predecessors in victory and universal monarchy, which was the setting up of themselves for gods and being idolized, to which some attribute much of the origin of idolatry. Let Cyrus, when he becomes thus rich and great, remember that still he is but a man, and there is no God but one. 2. That he is Lord of all, and there is nothing done without him (v. 7): I form the light, which is grateful and pleasing, and I create darkness, which is grievous and unpleasing. I make peace (put here for all good) and I create evil, not the evil of sin (God is not the author of that), but the evil of punishment. I the Lord order, and direct, and do all these things. Observe, (1.) The very different events that befal the children of men. Light and darkness are opposite to each other, and yet, in the course of providence, they are sometimes intermixed, like the morning and evening twilights, neither day nor night, Zech 14:6. There is a mixture of joys and sorrows in the same cup, allays to each other. Sometimes they are counterchanged, as noonday light and midnight darkness. In the revolution of every day each takes its turn, and there are short transitions from the one to the other, witness Job's case. (2.) The self-same cause of both, and that is he that is the first Cause of all: I the Lord, the fountain of all being, am the fountain of all power. He who formed the natural light (Gen 1:3) still forms the providential light. He who at first made peace among the jarring seeds and principles of nature makes peace in the affairs of men. He who allowed the natural darkness, which was a mere privation, creates the providential darkness; for concerning troubles and afflictions he gives positive orders. Note, The wise God has the ordering and disposing of all our comforts, and all our crosses, in this world.

• black hawk6 months agoReport

<God is not the God of evil that produces sin but the evil that brings the consequences of sin> By definition, evil is evil, but it doesn't matter what you call it.