Can you make a low carb bread in a bread machine?

• denise

If you have a recipe, yes, I should think so.

Follow the recipe. Most of the low carb breads that I have seen are smaller, single serve bread that can be made easily in the microwave. (at least the ones I have looked at)

If the recipe you find calls for enough ingredients that it will make it worth while.

If the recipe calls for long kneading of the dough

If the recipe calls for letting the dough rise

If the recipe calls for deflating the risen dough, letting it rise again before baking

If the recipe calls for a long bake time

If all of these requirements are in your recipe then you could probably use your bread maker.

Nope..............

• Janet

I have never made a low carb bread, but knowing how wheat functions .. I doubt it.

Wheat and some of the other grains contain a protein called "gluten". When you knead bread dough, these protein strands get stretched and lengthened. This also happens when you allow the bread to sit and "rise" .. as the yeast grow and expel CO2, and the dough enlarges .. the gluten strands get gently stretched too.

And THAT is what holds the bread together.

If there was no gluten, then when the yeast caused all the air bubbles in the dough (making the bread light and full of holes .. rather than hard as a brick) ... well, without the long gluten strands, the baked bread would crumble instead of slice.

And bread machines do the kneading for you. And the baking.

But if there is no gluten, what on earth will keep the bread from crumbling into little crumbs?

All grains contain carbs, so a low-carb bread has to not have much grain in it .. therefore, not much gluten.

I would be happy to have someone experienced WITH making low-carb bread explain the solution for me.

Perhaps if one were to ADD gluten protein (which CAN be bought, and is often recommended when making wheat bread in a bread machine), you might be able to make a low-carb bread in a bread machine that wouldn't fall apart on you.