Issue with my central air.?

Yesterday, my central air was running then all of a sudden, I could feel the temperature rising. I went to the digital thermostat and lowered the temp a little more. It took all day, to go down a few degrees. I replaced the thermostat, put in a new air filter then went outside and cleaned out the unit. It seems like it can’t get the house cold. The thermostat is reading 65 during the day and 60 at night. The day before it started acting weird, I could turn the temp down and watch it drop within no time. Now, it’s taking a day to go down a little. What’s going on!? Side note, we just bought this house this week. The central air unit seems to be new. Everything looks clean. As a last ditch effort, I’ll call a HVAC company. Any tips?

It's possible your unit is out of freon or puron or whatever gas the unit uses as a refrigerant. Sometimes they need to be refilled. It is also possible that your new house just isn't very airtight and the unit simply can't keep up with the demand on a hot day.

• In

The evaporator coils on the inside unit may be iced over. This can happen if the outside air is very humid and you have your temperature set very low. Open the cover on the inside unit near where the refrigerant lines come in to inspect the coil. If it is iced up then turn the AC off and take a blow dryer to the ice.

• Droopy

are you cooling house to 60 or 65 if so that's probably your issue. If your in US then in the area that's having the heatwave you'll have hard time cooling it that low.

you probably wasted your money on a new tstat. call a hvac guy he can check pressure subcooling or super heat an drop across coil let you know if units operating properly.

call HVAC company. you may have sprung a leak in the refrigerant lines

• Joe

Could be that it's just overloaded: much of the U.S. is suffering an awful heat wave. An A/C that's sized properly for normal summer weather just can't keep up with this. (You don't want an oversized A/C, for reasons I won't go into, here.)

Check the temperature of the cooled air right where it comes out of an A/C duct. Don't guess; use a real thermometer of some kind. If it's at least 10 degrees (F) below room temperature, there's nothing wrong with your system.