What jobs can i possibly get with an associates in liberal arts?

Hello everyone i should probably be asking this question to my advisor but i wanted to ask here first. I have a background in construction and trade work and im pursuing my associates in liberal arts. I am only 8 classes away so i was wondering some of the possibilities that my lie ahead?

With an associate's in liberal arts? Essentially nothing. Your background in construction can probably be more helpful for finding work. Liberal Arts is not a very marketable degree, even as a bachelors. You should transfer your credits into a bachelor's degree program in something that will actually lead to a career. Speak to a career counselor at your school if you're still undecided.

You have no "career track" but what YOU choose to do with the education, training, skills, abilities, interests, etc, that you have to offer & choose to use. What do you want to do. You have to assess yourself & choose which way you want to go. General education CAN be put to use every day of your life in every way imaginable, but you choose how to apply it.

• Joe

Fast Food is always a dependable option. You ever see that movie Car Wash from the 70's ?? Those guys washed cars all day long and had a great time ! I see those bearded guys washing windshields at red lights and they seem happy. You have a lot of good choices, don't worry !

• christopher5 months agoReport

let me REMIND you stupid self that i am a MASTER CARPENTER at 23 years of age. I am just looking to make myself more marketable. no need for the stupid comments.

• John

Most of the other answers are correct, so allow me to add a side note. You made a common mistake, and went about planning your education backwards.

You choose a course of study, and as the completion date approached, you tried to find out what careers your AA would prepare you for. You should have instead decided on a career, then took the course of study necessary to enter that profession. You still have plenty of time to correct that, as you are about halfway to a 4 year degree.

None that you couldn't get -without- an associate's degree, I'm afraid.

Associates of Arts (AA) degrees are intended to be the first half of a bachelor's degree. There's not much else that they're good for. I've seen one job (actually only a promotion potential) that required an associates of science (AS) degree, but even that is pretty rare. Most jobs require an associate of applied science (AAS) degree, or a bachelor's.

If you are -not- interested in transferring to a four-year university to complete your bachelor's degree, you're really in the wrong field of study. Talk to you advisor about other degrees your community college may have that are more in line with your goals. They might have a program in construction management that might interest you (example: http://www.jccc.edu/academics/credit/construction-... ) or you might want a complete change of field (radiation technician, aircraft controller, paralegal).

• MS

An Associate's in Liberal Arts really isn't going to prepare you for any particular job, or give you much of a leg up in acquiring one. There are some people who might get a slight pay raise in a job that they already have when they get a degree, but even that's not very likely with this degree. These credits will likely transfer to a 4-year school and apply toward an eventual Bachelor's degree though.

You would be good at tech support if you like that sort of thing - you could go into retail, or office manager. These are just a few places that your degree would work.

• Kyle

i don't think many come with that degree. majority need a bachelor's degree for related jobs.

http://www.collegeranker.com/liberal-arts-degree-j...

here's an article detailing such jobs in that field. if you're close to your school, go back for an appointment. they should have a career field to help graduates find jobs in their relevant fields. talk to a counselor, adviser, or even a professor in that field. get their advice and if anything else may be needed to get certain jobs.

if you need ways to save money, consider the military. they have hundreds of jobs that aren't all combat or infantry related. it's only four years (some jobs require six years). and if you want to go back to school the GI Bill will help pay for higher education. with your associates degree, you can enlist at a higher grade, up to E-3.

they have jobs from health care, air traffic control, logistics, intel / analysts, vehicle maintenance, electrician, construction, computers, HVAC, finance, administrative, and others. you can see all the jobs they offer on the branches websites, but you would only qualify for certain jobs via the ASVAB, which is standard high school knowledge. the job also have to be available. a recruiter will have more info on the job selection process.

• Kyle

there's no rush to finish school. as long as you have savings until you find a full time job. as long as you plan and don't fall behind, you'll be fine. good luck.

You won't get much with associates, and that's why you should be pursuing a bachelors.