Help! Delta airlines booking mistake.?

I just booked my flight to Jamaica with Delta, who I'm not used to. I'm used to flying with Southwest but couldn't this time. Well I purchased my ticket and didn't see the option to choose seats so I paid for my ticket and just expected to get my assignment during check in. But my friend who I'm... show more I just booked my flight to Jamaica with Delta, who I'm not used to. I'm used to flying with Southwest but couldn't this time. Well I purchased my ticket and didn't see the option to choose seats so I paid for my ticket and just expected to get my assignment during check in. But my friend who I'm going with was able to choose hers.
So now I'm screwed because we're more than likely not going to sit together. Also I may be stuck with really bad seats since I couldn't choose. Is there a way for me to fix this? Any Delta flyers out there that can help me?