Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Why do some people choose to only have one child? Selfishness?

I understand that some people are physically unable to have more then 1 child but what I dont understand is why some people only have 1 child out of choice

Is it because of the pain of birth? Is it because of financial reasons? Do they feel unable to cope with another child? Do they not realize how awful being an only child is?

I havent got any children yet (im not even 18 yet) but when my time does come to have children I would like 3 or 4. My mum and dad only had 2. Me obviously and my brother (who is almost 6 years older then me)

My brother doesnt like me and we argue but I would have hated to be an only child. It must be so lonely and boring :/ Heck I get lonely and bored when my brothers gone for 1 night!

It's generally because of financial reasons. It's very expensive to raise a decently resourced kid these days and for many if the choice is one well rounded college graduate vs. two or more kids who won't stand a chance they'll go with quality over quantity.If you want four kids that's an extra million dollars you'll need to come up with (not counting university tuition). So good luck with that.

they rnight not be able to afford it,

• Janet

"Only children" grow up with the same qualities as "first children". More self-confidence and skill at creating their life, more comfort around adults.

If someone has an awful experience being an only child, it would have been far worse if they had a sibling.

You say you would have hated to be an only child? How on Earth could you possible KNOW how you would have felt as an only child?

As for getting lonely and bored, that means you have not developed a good relationship with yourself. Loneliness means we don't like ourselves or our own company. And boredom means we are unhappy and without enough distraction, it threatens to break through to the surface, and we call this discomfort "boredom".

The fact is that if you have been an only child, you would have gotten more nurturing and more attention and WOULD like yourself better and would be happier. Less vulnerable to boredom and loneliness

Assuming, of course, that your parents were not toxic parents.

I am going to have 4 children I have to have 4

• mokrie

I was an only child and I liked it. I saw neighbors brothers and sisters that hated each other, lied about what the others did, steal their stuff and punch each other constantly. There is no rule as to which is better. It's just luck whether it's good or bad.

Because they're not black or Muslim and therefore don't need to populate the world with their kind in order to be better represented.

• mokrie

Better represented? It has nothing to do with that. Many black cultures in Africa do not believe in birth control. Muslims may not believe in it either. However the muslim religion is told to have as many children as possible in order to spread Islam over the world.