Why do some people choose to only have one child? Selfishness?

I understand that some people are physically unable to have more then 1 child but what I dont understand is why some people only have 1 child out of choice Is it because of the pain of birth? Is it because of financial reasons? Do they feel unable to cope with another child? Do they not realize how awful being an... show more I understand that some people are physically unable to have more then 1 child but what I dont understand is why some people only have 1 child out of choice

Is it because of the pain of birth? Is it because of financial reasons? Do they feel unable to cope with another child? Do they not realize how awful being an only child is?

I havent got any children yet (im not even 18 yet) but when my time does come to have children I would like 3 or 4. My mum and dad only had 2. Me obviously and my brother (who is almost 6 years older then me)

My brother doesnt like me and we argue but I would have hated to be an only child. It must be so lonely and boring :/ Heck I get lonely and bored when my brothers gone for 1 night!