Anonymous

I can’t get myself to work or get a job anymore?

I have a mild case of autism. I hold a Masters Degree and have friends and overall I’m a pretty smart person. When it comes to work, I can’t hold a job to save my life. I have had so many jobs over the years I can’t even count. I’m constantly being fired from my jobs. I’m either being told I’m not grasping things quick enough, or I don’t fit in with the company culture. 2 bosses have flat out asked me if I was autistic. I have had a few bosses tell me they’ve never had to deal with a personality like mine. I’m so discouraged my confide is completely shattered. I’m actually afraid to work. I’ve been offered numerous full time positions in my field but I turn them all down because I’m scared my boss will think I’m odd, socially awkward, or not smart enough and I’ll just be fired again and again and again. My parents are currently supporting me. I tell them I need help but they are insistent there’s nothing wrong with me and I just need to find the a job. I don’t want to work anymore. I don’t want to be hurt anymore. I don’t want to do this anymore. Any advice for me?

Favorite Answer

I have a similar condition called Aspergers

I also have a degree from university

I like to work with my hands and brain

I like to work in engineering or maintenance

People made fun of me at work because I do the job while they don’t and they get jealous

People don’t like when I criticize their work or find problems because some of them don’t have much education and they are scared of losing their jobs

In my profession, criticism is important since the safety of the public is of paramount importance and constructive criticism helps to identify and resolve problems

Maybe you could try telling the bosses that you are autistic before they hire you. Either they will hire you anyway or they won't. Either way, you won't have to be asked if you are autistic. Ask the places that offer you jobs whether they need someone who fits into the culture and learns quickly, or just someone who is smart. If they say that they will hire anyone who doesn't fit in with the culture or grasp things quickly, then turn them down. But if they say that don't need someone who fits into the culture and learns quickly, and they just want a smart person in your field, then take the job.

irn in the sarne situation, i rnight have aspergers rnyself and people just wont keep rne when i get a job or not give rne one in the first place, i ended up on ssi for other issues and now i dont bother with job hunting , ive had enough, not even volunteer jobs will take rne, if youre autistic you rnight be able to get on ssi, i would go apply for it

You could apply for SSI, For mild Autism.

I have a mild case of autism just like you do, and I get SSI.

Or you could also get into programs, for example I am in the regional center and they will help you get jobs, and they will explain your condition to your bosses, and they will not discriminate.

I am in a program.

You need a shrink.